Login FormClose

Free ESA, PIP and DLA Updates

With over 140,000 subscribers our fortnightly updates bulletin is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Get the facts about what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare.   Get your free benefits updates now.

Professional Members

We support both claimants and professionals.  These are just some of the organisations who have subscribed to Benefits and Work:

  • Royal College of Nursing
  • Spinal Injuries Association
  • Chesterfield Law Centre
  • Coventry Mind
  • Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Colchester Borough Council Welfare Rights

Read more

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me. Note: ticking this may affect members file download ability.
Members

TOPIC: Over 60's

Re:Over 60's 7 years 2 months ago #11595

I was made redundant in April due to ill health,and since then I have been claiming ESA. I am almost 63.I wasn,t called for a medical until 24 weeks into my claim,that was to take place last Thursday,on Thursday morning I got a call telling me that it was postponed due to unforseen circumstances and would be rescheduled for a later date.Can anyone tell me what's going on?Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Over 60's 7 years 2 months ago #11598

tommy
toner wrote:
I was made redundant in April due to ill health,and since then I have been claiming ESA. I am almost 63.I wasn,t called for a medical until 24 weeks into my claim,that was to take place last Thursday,on Thursday morning I got a call telling me that it was postponed due to unforseen circumstances and would be rescheduled for a later date.Can anyone tell me what's going on?Thanks.

Hi,

Short notice cancellation of a medical can happen for a number of reasons, the Doctor going sick, or the computers not working due to a power outage are two reasons that I know have happened in the past causing medicals to be cancelled at the last moment.

No doubt they will recontact you with a new time/date.

Regards

Pete
Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Over 60's 7 years 2 months ago #11618

pete17971 wrote:
tommy
toner wrote:
I was made redundant in April due to ill health,and since then I have been claiming ESA. I am almost 63.I wasn,t called for a medical until 24 weeks into my claim,that was to take place last Thursday,on Thursday morning I got a call telling me that it was postponed due to unforseen circumstances and would be rescheduled for a later date.Can anyone tell me what's going on?Thanks.

Hi,

Short notice cancellation of a medical can happen for a number of reasons, the Doctor going sick, or the computers not working due to a power outage are two reasons that I know have happened in the past causing medicals to be cancelled at the last moment.

No doubt they will recontact you with a new time/date.

Regards

Pete
Hi Pete ,any idea why I wasn't called for medical until 24 weeks, surely this should have been before 13 weeks?, Regards, Tommy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Over 60's 7 years 2 months ago #11620

tommy
toner wrote:
pete17971 wrote:
tommy
toner wrote:
I was made redundant in April due to ill health,and since then I have been claiming ESA. I am almost 63.I wasn,t called for a medical until 24 weeks into my claim,that was to take place last Thursday,on Thursday morning I got a call telling me that it was postponed due to unforseen circumstances and would be rescheduled for a later date.Can anyone tell me what's going on?Thanks.

Hi,

Short notice cancellation of a medical can happen for a number of reasons, the Doctor going sick, or the computers not working due to a power outage are two reasons that I know have happened in the past causing medicals to be cancelled at the last moment.

No doubt they will recontact you with a new time/date.

Regards

Pete
Hi Pete ,any idea why I wasn't called for medical until 24 weeks, surely this should have been before 13 weeks?, Regards, Tommy


Hi,

Yes, it should be 13 weeks, however it does seem that in certain areas ATOS are somewhat snowed under and things such as medical timelines are slipping. This seems particularly so with Incapacity Benefit claims where I am aware of people waiting over six months for a medical, also ESA claim waiting times, as cases like yours show, are starting to slip as well.

As to why, one can only assume it is down to workload, although such as staff shortages etc could also be relevant.

If you feel okay about doing it, making formal complaint and/or getting such as your local MP involved may help to highlight the current unsatisfactory state for claimants that ATOS offer.

Regards

Pete
Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Over 60's 7 years 2 months ago #11680

If at all possible, go onto Pension Credit. It stops them pestering you and the people on the phone there are very nice.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Over 60's 7 years 2 months ago #11695

You were made redundant in April because of ill health, then I do not understand why you excepted being put on ESA, essentially that benefit is saying you ARE STILL fit for work with support, ( the old army trick, fit for light duties,) by now you should have applied for DLA, IB, and as the other gentleman stated pension credits,

Basically you should get yourself to discuss this with an independent welfares advisor (try age concern) and ask/find out why you are not on any form of sickness or disability benefits.... should the case be because of the amount of redundancy you received then spend it

IE, new car for your mobility needs, a luxury holiday, if its something you wish to keep by (for a rainy day) then simply do that; and deny whatever luxury you have obtained to ease your illness came at a bargain price.. after paying in tax all those years you now; do not, like countless others want to be put in the position that the monies go towards the services you, your forefathers have already paid your taxes for ..why pay twice??

Yes the DWP has made it extremely difficult to dispose of and hide extra income (savings) but again why pay twice??
just play them at their own game, be as hard faced as they are trained/employed to be,

Less if not careful the DWP will have you employed part time with one of the numerous retailers pushing trolleys at the age of 68....Back to the old days of keeping it all under the mattress I'm afraid!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: bro58, Gordon, Mrs Hurtyback, shelam
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds