Login FormClose

Free ESA, PIP and DLA Updates

With over 140,000 subscribers our fortnightly updates bulletin is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Get the facts about what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare.   Get your free benefits updates now.

Professional Members

We support both claimants and professionals.  These are just some of the organisations who have subscribed to Benefits and Work:

  • Royal College of Nursing
  • Spinal Injuries Association
  • Chesterfield Law Centre
  • Coventry Mind
  • Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Colchester Borough Council Welfare Rights

Read more

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me. Note: ticking this may affect members file download ability.
Members

TOPIC: Diagnosis Changed

Diagnosis Changed 7 years 1 week ago #13371

  • twilight
I sent off my son's ESA50 questionaire last Monday. He had some muscle and brain tests later that day. On the Thursday I got phonecalls from two consultants to say that he has a neuromuscular disease plus confirmed he has absence seizures.

Next stage is a muscle biopsy but they both said it is "not treatable". Until then he had been diagnosed with ME although I put on the ESA50 that these were under investigation. Obviously at this early stage we have nothing in writing as proof.

My son got a 2 year award of HRM/HRC about 7/8 months ago. I have two questions. One should i let ESA or DLA dept know about the new diagnoses now or wait till we have written evidence and two, should I be asking for a change to length of award as we now know that sadly he is not going to get better?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Diagnosis Changed 7 years 1 week ago #13383

  • pata1
  • OFFLINE
  • Retired Nurse & Former Moderator.
Hi Twilight,

Two of our moderators who are benefits advisers are both off ill, one is in hospital and the other has just come home today, so they'll be offline for a while. I'm not sure if our other qualified moderator is about today.

My advice would be to wait for the written evidence before you let your local Jobcentre Plus and the DLA Unit in Blackpool know. Once you receive the written evidence you can send both departments a copy, and when you send the one to the DLA office you can ask for the length of the award to be reviewed then.

However, I'd be inclined to seek advice from your local CAB or a welfare rights organisation before you ask for the DLA award to be reviewed as they can advise you on the chances of success.

If our other moderator with benefits experience is around later, perhaps he can give you more definitive advice then I can.

Kind regards.

Pat
PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Diagnosis Changed 7 years 1 week ago #13386

pata1 wrote:
Hi Twilight,

Two of our moderators who are benefits advisers are both off ill, one is in hospital and the other has just come home today, so they'll be offline for a while. I'm not sure if our other qualified moderator is about today.

My advice would be to wait for the written evidence before you let your local Jobcentre Plus and the DLA Unit in Blackpool know. Once you receive the written evidence you can send both departments a copy, and when you send the one to the DLA office you can ask for the length of the award to be reviewed then.

However, I'd be inclined to seek advice from your local CAB or a welfare rights organisation before you ask for the DLA award to be reviewed as they can advise you on the chances of success.

If our other moderator with benefits experience is around later, perhaps he can give you more definitive advice then I can.

Kind regards.

Pat

I endorse what you have said Pat, particularly the mention of seeking advice from an independent advice agency regarding the subsisting DLA award, because as is always advised, although it is relatively rare it may be reduced or even removed altogether.

In the circumstances, as both DLA components are being paid at the highest rate and sadly as Twilight says her son is unlikely to improve having been diagnosed with new medical conditions, it may be preferable to await the renewal claim form rather than asking for the award to be lengthened at this stage?

Insofar as ESA is concerned, I would certainly let the DWP know of the change in diagnosis when the written evidence is received.
Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Diagnosis Changed 7 years 1 week ago #13388

  • pata1
  • OFFLINE
  • Retired Nurse & Former Moderator.
Thanks CD,

I thought about advising Twilight to wait until the current award was nearing the end, but decided to leave it until you were online.

Many thanks.

Pat
PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Diagnosis Changed 7 years 1 week ago #13411

  • twilight
Thankyou Pat and CD

I appreciate your input will follow your advice.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: bro58, Gordon, Mrs Hurtyback, shelam
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds