Introduction to Employment and Support Allowance training day
“I enjoyed the course and will find it useful to incorporate in my everyday job. It has given me new tools to help clients.” Denise Jones, Beacon Employment.
“Very enjoyable course. Will make advising clients on ESA much easier.” Graham, East Bristol Advice Service.
“An extremely worthwhile and enjoyable day led with informed skill and extreme competence.” Mike, Mendip Advocacy.
This Introduction to Employment and Support Allowance training day provides a clear overview of the new Employment and Support Allowance. No previous benefits knowledge is required and the training is suitable both for advice workers and for support workers who do not give benefits advice but do need a good awareness of the possible effects of ESA on their clients. By the end of the day, participants will understand:
- the basic qualifying conditions for ESA
- what will happen to claimants during the assessment and main phases of ESA
- the medical tests used to assign claimants to the work-related activity group and the support group and the possible exemptions and exceptional circumstances
- the purpose of the work-focused health-related assessment
- claimant’s responsibilities in relation to work-focused interviews
- the sanctions regime
- appeal rights under ESA
- what will happen to existing incapacity benefits claimants