Login FormClose

Free ESA, PIP and DLA Updates

With over 140,000 subscribers our fortnightly updates bulletin is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Get the facts about what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare.   Get your free benefits updates now.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: old problem, new claim

old problem, new claim 8 years 3 months ago #14223

  • lynne tweedie
Five years ago,I attended a medical after 26 weeks of sick pay.My claim was refused,and I did not have the confidence to follow up the appeal process.My problem has not improved, it is urology based, and I am now suffering with arthritis in the neck and shoulder.I intend to make a fresh claim, will I give details of the past claim?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Address 8 years 3 months ago #14225

  • lynne tweedie
Do I need a permanent address for an esa claim? I am at present staying with a good friend but this is very temporary.
Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:old problem, new claim 8 years 3 months ago #14226

Hi Lynne,

Presumably your claim five years ago was for Incapacity Benefit ?

If my assumption is correct, then since November 2008, Incapacity Benefit (IB) was replaced for new claimants by a new benefit called Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

ESA can be contribution based, which means that the claimant has paid sufficient National Insurance (NI) contributions and/or NI credits to qualify. If not they need to to apply for income based ESA.

There are guides in the members only section for ESA claimants. See Help for Claimants

As it's five years ago since you first applied, by now it's highly likely that the DWP will have destroyed your previous claim records under the Data Protection Act 1998. However, it will do no harm to include details of a previous claim in order for the DWP to see that your condition has worsened over the last 5 years.

Also, if you have any mobility problems or care needs, it may be worth you also claiming Disability Living Allowance (D), so long as you are under 65 years of age, again there are guides in the members only area for DLA

You can find more information on ESA on the DWP's website Employment Support Allowance and on DLA on the DirectGov website DLA and How to Claim

I'm afraid I cannot answer your query on whether you need a permanent address to claim ESA. Perhaps one of the other moderators may know ?

If not, ring your nearest JobCentre Plus office and they will advise you.

Finally, I'd also advise that you contact a benefits advice agency such as your local CAB for advice on ESA and DLA. They can give you 'one to one' advice, which we cannot offer in an open forum, as we cannot offer individual advice.

Hope this helps and good luck.


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last Edit: by Jim Allison. Reason: Added information.
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: bro58GordonMrs HurtybackIzzy1010LisaJenny Clarke