Login FormClose

Free ESA, PIP and DLA Updates

With over 140,000 subscribers our fortnightly updates bulletin is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Get the facts about what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare.   Get your free benefits updates now.

Professional Members

We support both claimants and professionals.  These are just some of the organisations who have subscribed to Benefits and Work:

  • Royal College of Nursing
  • Spinal Injuries Association
  • Chesterfield Law Centre
  • Coventry Mind
  • Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Colchester Borough Council Welfare Rights

Read more

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

Remember me. Note: ticking this may affect members file download ability.
25 May 2017
The Forum is closed until 8pm Tuesday 30 May
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: Teddington's ESA Queries

Teddington's ESA Queries 7 months 1 week ago #170778


I am on contribution based ESA (support group ) since July 2014. When I received my award letter there was no information about length of the award.
( I didn't know ESA awards are indefinite but it gets reviewed based on prognosis . I know now :) )

So I rang ESA help line. I was told by the DWP advisor my award is indefinite.

I didn't request for my assessment report at that time.

But does DWP give "indefinite " ESA award anyway ? Is it exist ??

Also, can I ask for an assessment report or is it just too late now ?

I hope I made sense.

Thank you very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Teddington's ESA Queries 7 months 1 week ago #170797

Hi Teddington,

As you say, all ESA awards are, technically, 'indefinite'. However, they will all be reviewed periodically. The longest time between routine assessments, under normal circumstances, is 3 years (Support Group, 2 years for WRAG.).

There was a huge backlog of cases a couple of years ago and many reassessments were postponed for up to 2 years, but everything is back to 'normal' now.

A phone call to DWP asking for the 'prognosis' should tell you when to expect the reassessment.

Your previous paperwork will be probably now be stored off site. A Subject Access Request should get you a copy of the assessor's report - and any other paperwork associated with the claim.

Requesting a Subject Access Request (SAR) :

SAR Form Download

From this page :

DWP Data Protection Policy

Or you can make the request in the form of a letter, as long as you make it clear that you are making a formal SAR under The Data Protection Act 1998.

Address the envelope : FAO The Data Controller, at the Benefits Office dealing with your PIP.

Write DPA 1998 SAR in front, top, left corner of envelope.

Once received, they have 40 calendar days to comply.

Sending Documents to the DWP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Teddington's ESA Queries 7 months 1 week ago #170936

Thank you very much Mrs Hurtyback. I really appreciate your very well explained reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs Hurtyback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Teddington's ESA Queries 7 months 1 week ago #170985

I think it also depends on whereabouts you are. I was put into the Support Group on appeal for two years - that was in c. October 2013 so they are at least a year late.

It will be sod's law that, now I have just had to submit my PIP application, I will also get an ESA form too with totally different questions to respond to.

Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teddington

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: bro58GordonMrs Hurtyback
Time to create page: 1.351 seconds