Login FormClose

Free ESA, PIP and DLA Updates

With over 140,000 subscribers our fortnightly updates bulletin is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Get the facts about what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare.   Get your free benefits updates now.

Professional Members

We support both claimants and professionals.  These are just some of the organisations who have subscribed to Benefits and Work:

  • Royal College of Nursing
  • Spinal Injuries Association
  • Chesterfield Law Centre
  • Coventry Mind
  • Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Colchester Borough Council Welfare Rights

Read more



The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:

Remember me. Note: ticking this may affect members file download ability.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: using a solicitor

using a solicitor 7 months 1 week ago #171011

I have been on ESA for years and never applied for PIP.I have been advised to apply for PIP since otherwise I will be hit by benefit cap for my housing benefit very soon.
due to me conditions I find filling the forms very difficult even though I can access guide and get some advice here.

what do you think about the idea of using a solicitor? are there solicitors who prepare ESA or PIP cases on your behalf? do they take care of everything? or do they only deal with appeals?
any idea how much I can expect to pay to a solicitor for preparing and registering my PIP or ESA Re-assessment forms?

I'm aware legal aid is no longer available and I will have to pay privately but in my situation I have no option but to have a successful PIP claim otherwise I will become homeless with arrears as the amount of cap that applies to me is huge.

I also received the ESA50 form recently so I have to complete both ESA50 and claim PIP now.

please advice?

using a solicitor 7 months 1 week ago #171036

Hi PDR and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I'm sorry that you have to deal with the ESA assessment and PIP application at the same time! :( AS long as you were not previously on DLA, you could let the PIP claim lapse until you have dealt with the ESA, if you wanted to. It should be easy enough to reclaim PIP when you are ready.

To be honest, I would caution you against using a solicitor to help with your forms unless you know it is someone with a great deal of experience dealing with DWP claims. This is not an area that many solicitors are familiar with and you could end up spending a lot of money to no avail :(

Is there a friend or family member who could help you with the forms, using our guides? If not, you could try CAB or any association dealing with the condition/s from which you suffer (for instance, I know that 'MIND' can sometimes be very helpful for people suffering from mental health problems). Failing that, you could do an internet search for 'benefits advice' plus your area/postcode.

Our claims guides can be found here

PIP help for claimants

ESA claims and appeals

May I suggest that you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future? This will allow you to return with further questions or comments without having to start a new topic each time. This will help us enormously - and I hope you will find it useful too :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDR

using a solicitor 7 months 1 week ago #171039

If you are in ESA support group housing benefit cap wouldn't apply to you

using a solicitor 7 months 1 week ago #171101

I know,unfortunatelly I'm in Work group.

using a solicitor 7 months 5 days ago #171344

I've found a solicitor firm and they say they have years of experience with benefit cases.(all written on their website).
the problem is mainly they deal with appeals etc and not just lodging the case.and I'm not sure if it's worth paying them just to fill the forms.
sorry,I know you said you don't recommend solicitors often but I have a very short deadline and find filling the form very overwhelming myself.I have no access to any charity advice centre etc in such short time and just need an strong case lodged.

using a solicitor 7 months 4 days ago #171359


The only other things I can suggest is that you do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county, or you try the web sites for any charity that supports your conditions.

If you want to try and complete the forms yourself then the Claim guides do offer a "formula" for doing so and although we cannot give detailed assistance we can explain what the activities are about if you struggle.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PDR
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: bro58GordonMrs Hurtyback
Time to create page: 1.659 seconds