Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and DLA Updates

Our fortnightly updates bulletin is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Get the facts about what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.


The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: help with seperation mental health

help with seperation mental health 1 year 2 months ago #186872

Hello,im hoping someone can help me please,i know that its not possible to comment on indevidual. Cases but im very ill and going through hell,ive had serious mental health problems since a boy,im under complex care and have been for years. I get benafits for me and my wife, esa suport group couples, and pip for 5 years new award,wife gets carers ,no my problem, me and my wife have been on housing waiting list for 3 years .in which time we have lived in a bedsit,my wife has struggled looking after me,its been hell for her,we just recieved a small house from council,and took it ,my wife has half way through the move told me that its to much,and she cant cope 24 hours a day like we have been,she said she will look after me still but she needs to stay in the bedsit on her own and come to look after me and help etc,she needs the space and has always needed more help with me,thing is were halfway through a move,she has no idea about benafits but im pretty sure she cant split our money if were married but living apart,how would it work,the old landlord said she can stay in bedsit which hasnt helped me, and that she might get income support,? What would happen to the benafits ,would we be alot worse of if she can do this even though were married, but apart and she still cares for me,or do we have to live together, thanks, sorry i cant spell and no spell checker

help with seperation mental health 1 year 2 months ago #186926


I am going to recommend that you both get face to face advice.

The primary issue will be that if you separate then any benefits that you receive as a couple will then only be paid to the individual, the person who "loses out" due to this may then need to claim other benefits to replace the lost income. You would also become entitled to benefits such as Housing benefit in your own rights,

A trained advisor can go through both of your options, explain what you can claim and receive and help you through the process of making claims for these.

Do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.


help with seperation mental health 1 year 2 months ago #187001

Thank you gordon
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: bro58GordonMrs HurtybackIzzy1010LisaJenny Clarke