Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and DLA Updates

Our fortnightly updates bulletin is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Get the facts about what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.


The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: open university

open university 10 months 6 days ago #195647

Hi I am claiming PIP and ESA at the moment but have been looking into doing an OU course part time will this affect my benefit because I will be looking to get a student loan to pay my fees, thanks for any help :)

open university 10 months 6 days ago #195668


Open University courses are defined as part time so the course itself will not effect your ESA, PIP is not impacted in any way (see below).

I'm not sure that you will get a student loan, again because the course is part time, but you may be able to get some help to cover fees, how the DWP will treat these will depend on what they are paid for and also the type of ESA you receive.

If you are receiving only Contribution Based ESA then it does not matter what monies you receive and why, your ESA(CB) will not be effected.

If you are receiving Income Related ESA then there could be a deduction, but as I said, it will depend on why you are receiving the money, all you can do is make the information available to the DWP and see what they say.

As a general comment, make sure that the course you are doing does not contradict the reasons why you have been awarded ESA and PIP, make sure that you review all of the activities you will be required to perform over the life of the course.


open university 9 months 2 weeks ago #196716

Hi Gordon& Mrs H
Just been reading these posts and apologies for butting in but I've often thought of doing something along these lines , but too scared too make enquiries as people would jump to many wrong negative conclusions about my health an benefits etc. In short , if receiving contribution based ESA and in the support group and also receiving higher rate mobility, can a person do a open university course from home? And were could such a candidate apply for financial assistance to pay for a course?. Do we have to go through student finance? Or are there other ways and means?.

open university 9 months 2 weeks ago #196724

Hi Dribble,

Yes, you would be allowed to undertake OU/part-time study from home. I'm afraid I don't know anything about potential funding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dribble
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: bro58GordonMrs HurtybackIzzy1010LisaJenny Clarke