Login FormClose

Free ESA, PIP and DLA Updates

With over 140,000 subscribers our fortnightly updates bulletin is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Get the facts about what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare.   Get your free benefits updates now.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
Members

TOPIC: dla appeal or

dla appeal or 6 years 1 month ago #66183

DLA review after 7 years

before review : on MRC and HRM

after review : MRC reduced to LRC due to some change in help needs (understandable)

HRM reduced to nill ( no award)

on completing the mobility section of review form info given was as follows:-

can walk == slowly about 100 meters by stopping and starting
walking speed == slow
walking manner == with light limp

copies of hospital lettres were sent with form

no doctor was sent by dla office

dm says :-
--can walk upto 100 meters, slowly, in reasonable manner. walking is limited but not virtualy unable to walk.
so no mobility award.

question is if to apeal for mobility component, what are the chances of winning apeal bearing in mind can walk upto 100 meters stoping and starting. is stopping counted in total walking distance.

am told by some one (also read it somewhere) that for anything above 50-60 meters walking ability, chances of winning appeal are slim.

any suggestions/ advice please..

any options and risks

thanks in advance
The topic has been locked.

Re:dla appeal or 6 years 1 month ago #66185

bal42 wrote:

DLA review after 7 years

before review : on MRC and HRM

after review : MRC reduced to LRC due to some change in help needs (understandable)

HRM reduced to nill ( no award)

on completing the mobility section of review form info given was as follows:-

can walk == slowly about 100 meters by stopping and starting
walking speed == slow
walking manner == with light limp

copies of hospital lettres were sent with form

no doctor was sent by dla office

dm says :-
--can walk upto 100 meters, slowly, in reasonable manner. walking is limited but not virtualy unable to walk.
so no mobility award.

question is if to apeal for mobility component, what are the chances of winning apeal bearing in mind can walk upto 100 meters stoping and starting. is stopping counted in total walking distance.

am told by some one (also read it somewhere) that for anything above 50-60 meters walking ability, chances of winning appeal are slim.

any suggestions/ advice please..

any options and risks

thanks in advance


Don't forget Bal, any distance walked after you start to suffer, severe pain, discomfort, or breathlessness, does not count, eg, if you start to suffer after say 10 metres,but then manage to walk for a further 10 metres, 20 metres in total, only the 10 metres would be applicable.

Also remember that you must be able to carry out any actions, Repeatedly, Reliably and Safely, (Reasonable Regularity).

Have you looked at the DLA guides in the orange "MEMBERS ONLY" area on the left?, there is also a section that covers appeals.

I am sure if anyone else, members or Mods, has anything to add they will.

Hope this helps.

bro58
Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The topic has been locked.

Re:dla appeal or 6 years 1 month ago #66187

bro58 wrote:

bal42 wrote:

DLA review after 7 years

before review : on MRC and HRM

after review : MRC reduced to LRC due to some change in help needs (understandable)

HRM reduced to nill ( no award)

on completing the mobility section of review form info given was as follows:-

can walk == slowly about 100 meters by stopping and starting
walking speed == slow
walking manner == with light limp

copies of hospital lettres were sent with form

no doctor was sent by dla office

dm says :-
--can walk upto 100 meters, slowly, in reasonable manner. walking is limited but not virtualy unable to walk.
so no mobility award.

question is if to apeal for mobility component, what are the chances of winning apeal bearing in mind can walk upto 100 meters stoping and starting. is stopping counted in total walking distance.

am told by some one (also read it somewhere) that for anything above 50-60 meters walking ability, chances of winning appeal are slim.

any suggestions/ advice please..

any options and risks

thanks in advance


Don't forget Bal, any distance walked after you start to suffer, severe pain, discomfort, or breathlessness, does not count, eg, if you start to suffer after say 10 metres,but then manage to walk for a further 10 metres, 20 metres in total, only the 10 metres would be applicable.

Also remember that you must be able to carry out any actions, Repeatedly, Reliably and Safely, (Reasonable Regularity).

Have you looked at the DLA guides in the orange "MEMBERS ONLY" area on the left?, there is also a section that covers appeals.

I am sure if anyone else, members or Mods, has anything to add they will.

Hope this helps.

bro58


Bal,

Please remember that if you do wish to appeal, you only have a month from the date of receiving the adverse decision.

You do this by filling in form GL24, which should then be posted to the DM, preferably by recorded delivery, keep copies of all correspondance.

There should be a link in the Members Only area to download a GL24, which you can then print off, and fill in by hand.

With regard to risk, yes there is some risk, in that if you appeal, you could either have your existing award reduced or taken away.

If you are unsure as to the risk factor involved, it would be advisable to seek face to face advice, from an advice agency such as the CAB, etc.

However, as it appears that you no longer have an award for Mobility Component DLA, there is not much risk in appealing that decision, as you have no award to lose.

cheers.

bro58
Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last Edit: by bro58.
The topic has been locked.

Re:dla appeal or 6 years 1 month ago #66191

thank you bro58
does not the following apply to esa only

Also remember that you must be able to carry out any actions, Repeatedly, Reliably and Safely, (Reasonable Regularity

also is LRC at risk of loosing if i appeal
The topic has been locked.

Re:dla appeal or 6 years 1 month ago #66196

bal42 wrote:

thank you bro58
does not the following apply to esa only

Also remember that you must be able to carry out any actions, Repeatedly, Reliably and Safely, (Reasonable Regularity

also is LRC at risk of loosing if i appeal



Hi bal,

The reapeatedly, reliably, and safely aspect also applies to DLA awards.

Besides the severe pain, etc, etc, aspect, are you prone to falls?, do you need supervision whilst outside?.

Take all relevant issues into account.

Yes, there is some risk involved, if you also appealed the LRC award, in that you could lose it altogether, maybe you need face to face advice re : that.

However, nothing to lose re : appealing no mobilty award.

As I have said the DLA and appeals guides are excellent, have a good read of them, and then make your decision as to appealing, within time constraints.

cheers

bro58
Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The topic has been locked.

Re:dla appeal or 6 years 1 month ago #66212

bro58
can i appeal for mobility only or does appeal apply to both components
The topic has been locked.
Moderators: bro58GordonMrs Hurtyback