We support both claimants and professionals. These are just some of the organisations who have subscribed to Benefits and Work:
- Royal College of Nursing
- Spinal Injuries Association
- Chesterfield Law Centre
- Stephenson’s Solicitors
- Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau
- Manchester City Council Sensory Provision Team
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - appeal tribunals
If you're challenging a disability living allowance (DLA) decision, it's worth knowing that at least 40% of all Disability Living Allowance (DLA) appeal tribunals are successful and the odds are as high as 70% if you attend an oral appeal tribunal with a representative.
You also need to know that for any decisions made from 28th October 2013, a new system of mandatory reconsideration before appeal has been introduced, making it harder to appeal.
Our detailed 37 page A4 guide 'Support for clients with DLA and AA appeals' was written for social workers, housing workers and other support workers but is equally valuable for claimants representing themselves at DLA tribunals. It covers:
- deciding whether to challenge a decision
- asking for a mandatory reconsideration
- completing an appeal form
- understanding the appeal papers
- how to go and watch tribunals before attending yourself
- written submissions
- using upper tribunal decisions
- inviting witnesses
- the importance of what the claimant and their representative wear
- how the claimant should travel to the tribunal
- what happens at the tribunal
- ensuring the tribunal cannot treat a support worker as an experienced representative
- dealing with difficult tribunal members
Over 50 ways to challenge DLA and AA medical report forms are explained in The best possible ways to challenge a DLA or AA medical report. The 27 page manual includes dozens of fully referenced extracts from previously unpublished DWP training resources, obtained using the Freedom of Information Act, and dozens of sample paragraphs for written submissions.
Sample page from Support for clients with disability living allowance and attendance allowance appeals re Preparing your client.
Sample page from Support for clients with DLA and AA appeals' re Written submissions.
Existing Benefits and Work members can download all our disability living allowance appeal resources.