× Members

Hospitlal stays and effects on benefits

More
7 years 3 months ago #178762 by McGoggy
Hi, I thought this information may be useful to some motability customers. I was admitted to hospital at the end of November 2016 suffering from small bowel obstruction as a result of desmoid disease. I contacted both ESA & DLA to advise them of my admission. After 28 days as an inpatientt I was informed that my DLA payments includind the mobility component paid to Motability for my car would stop.. My contribution based ESA remained in payment. Looking on line for advise, it appeared that under these circumstances, the car would be collected as my agreement with motability had been breached.
However happily this was not the case. I contacted Motability for advise and was very pleased to learn that I would keep the car for at least 3 months at which time the situation would be reviewed. This is because my husband is my named driver & uses the car to visit me in hospital and losing it would create more hardship.
I have been discharged today making my stay 8 weeks in total so I will be contacting DLA tomorrow to adivse them and hopefully have my benefit reinstated. I am of course concerned that this will instigate my "PIP Journey!" which I'm dreading but it has to be faced.
Hope this information puts some minds at rest over their much needed cars during potential lengthy hospital stays.
Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, BeeJay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #178771 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Hospitlal stays and effects on benefits
Elaine

The most important thing is to contact everybody up front and then manage the situation from there.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 3 months ago #178778 by McGoggy
Replied by McGoggy on topic Hospitlal stays and effects on benefits
Hi Gordon
Thanks for your response. I totally agree & contacted them after about one week when it was looking like a lengthy stay was inevitable.
Incidentally do you think, when I contact DLA tomorrow to inform them of my discharge, it will prompt my invitation to claim PIP?
Regards

More
7 years 3 months ago #178779 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Hospitlal stays and effects on benefits

elainegem wrote: Hi Gordon
Thanks for your response. I totally agree & contacted them after about one week when it was looking like a lengthy stay was inevitable.
Incidentally do you think, when I contact DLA tomorrow to inform them of my discharge, it will prompt my invitation to claim PIP?
Regards

I'm afraid there is a possibility although you are not reporting a Change of Circumstances, however, the DWP seem to think that any surgery is like a trip to Lourdes and cures all known ills.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 3 months ago #178780 by McGoggy
Replied by McGoggy on topic Hospitlal stays and effects on benefits
Oh well so be it, however my condition is inoperable and only managed with Tpn feeding & morphine via syringe driver. I must make it clear when I speak that my condition is not curable. Thanks for the advice.
Regards

More
7 years 3 months ago #178781 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Hospitlal stays and effects on benefits

elainegem wrote: I must make it clear when I speak that my condition is not curable.
Regards

Yes, it is very important that you do so.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.