× Members

DLA indefinite near to reaching pension age - claim PIP?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287323 by livingproof
My understanding of this very complex area so far, is that my indefinite DLA will continue after I begin to get my standard pension later this year. That also, if DLA is about to end because say the DWP are stopping all DLA payments and not because my award is a about to end, I can then apply for PIP even if I am by then after retirement? I'm reluctant to ask the DWP in case any enquiry triggers either a review or claim for PIP anyway. Any thoughts welcomed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287327 by Gordon
l

Your DLA will continue after you reach State Retirement Age.

The DWP should transfer you to PIP at some time in the future.

If your DLA ends for any reason after you reach SRA then you cannot make a new claim for PIP but could make a claim for Attendance Allowance which has the same criteria as DLA but no Mobility component.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287367 by livingproof
Thank you. I'm aware that AA has no mobility. I have EDS, which affects my walking and is worse than ever. Currently my DLA is low rate mobility and medium rate care, at some point I feel I might qualify for higher PIP. I retire in April so there is not long to go. My understanding is that after SRA, and still on DLA, if they decide to end all DLA payments or just mine, I should be able in that situation to claim PIP to transfer over, even though under normal circumstances a new claim after SRA is not possible?

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287377 by Gordon
l

As I explained in my previous post the DWP should be transferring you to PIP at some time in the future, your DLA will remain in payment during this process.

If your DLA ends, separate from the transfer process and you have reached SRA then you cannot apply for PIP only AA, however, you would have a right of appeal for the DLA Decision.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287467 by Rick4545
I've found this. It answers your query and mine too., It's reassuring. Do please read it to the end.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-...d-state-pension-age/

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287468 by Rick4545
You can still be awarded the Mobility component on transfer, the Regulation that prevents an award for Mobility for a claimant over State Retirement Age is suspended by the DLA to PIP transfer legislation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.