× Members

Contributions-Based ESA (Old style).

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287755 by Green56
Contributions-Based ESA (Old style). was created by Green56
Good Afternoon,

I wonder if you can please help me with a question.

I am on the old-style National Insurance Contributions Based ESA. It is my understanding that this is not income or savings related.

I recently read in a general information booklet about ESA from the DWP(ESA Reporting Changes - ESACOC 05/23) that all changes in income and savings/assets/capital should be reported to the DWP. Can you please enlighten me as to whether this is just for the Income-based ESA benefit, as I have always understood that the NI Contributions Based ESA is not dependant on income, savings, interest on savings, etc.

With many thanks for your advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287770 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Contributions-Based ESA (Old style).
Hi Green56

You are correct CB ESA is not means tested, therefore your savings are not taken into account. Pension income would be taken into account.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #287794 by Green56
Replied by Green56 on topic Contributions-Based ESA (Old style).
Thank you for your reply Gary, re CB ESA,

1. So does that mean that any interest on savings is not taken into account either?
2. Does this mean that you don't have to report any changes in income (apart from pensions) to the DWP for CB ESA?

Many thanks again for your help;

More
2 months 1 week ago #287809 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Contributions-Based ESA (Old style).
G

Yes and yes.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 1 week ago #287848 by GUNTHER
Replied by GUNTHER on topic Contributions-Based ESA (Old style).
Hope not to undermine your knowledge. I called job centre plus today to inform them that my personal pension had exceeded £85 pounds per week.Lady said it shouldn't effect your benefit, Iam a bit confused. I get contribution based ESA.

More
2 months 1 week ago #287849 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Contributions-Based ESA (Old style).
Hi GUNTHER

If you received an occupational or personal pension that pays more than £85 a week then your contributory ESA payment is reduced by half of the amount over this limit.

For example, if you receive £105 a week before tax from a personal pension , your ESA is reduced by £10, ie half of the excess figure of £20. If you receive more than one pension then they are added together for the calculation.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.