Login FormClose

Free ESA, PIP and DLA Updates

With over 140,000 subscribers our fortnightly updates bulletin is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Get the facts about what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare.   Get your free benefits updates now.

Professional Members

We support both claimants and professionals.  These are just some of the organisations who have subscribed to Benefits and Work:

  • Royal College of Nursing
  • Spinal Injuries Association
  • Chesterfield Law Centre
  • Coventry Mind
  • Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Colchester Borough Council Welfare Rights

Read more

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me. Note: ticking this may affect members file download ability.

TOPIC: Teddington's PIP Queries

Teddington's PIP Queries 2 weeks 2 days ago #170264

I am receiving ESA - contribution based ( support group) and PIP - both enhanced award

I live with my husband and our young daughter .

My husband is looking after me and he does everything for me. He is not claiming carers allowance because we thought if we claim it then our housing benefit amount will reduce . So would be receiving the same amount anyway. My husband recently lost his job because he had to take so much time off. He isn't claiming any benefit.
I should have asked this long time ago but can I claim any sort of disability premium ? When my husband was working we were receiving extra money for working tax credit (disability element I think ) .
I am confused (again ) .

Thank you very much for all your help .
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Teddington's PIP Queries 1 week 6 days ago #170340

  • Gordon
  • Forum Moderator

You may be able to receive the Enhanced Disability Premium if your husband is no longer working, for being in the Support Group, but only if you are entitled to an Income Related ESA top-up to your Contribution Based ESA.

ESA(IR) is dependant on your household income, your savings and assets, and any hours that your partner works. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

You could also put your personal details into one of the online benefit calculators to see what other benefits you could now receive, such as Carers Allowance.


Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teddington
Moderators: bro58, Gordon, Mrs Hurtyback, shelam
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds