× Members

GP report advice.

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #181588 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
GP report advice. was created by rayisfun@hotmail.com
I have been waiting for an ESA assessment for over a year. This week the Citizens Advice Bureau managed to get the DWP to commit to assess me in the next few weeks. In the meantime, the CAB advised me to get an up to date report from my GP to include along with my ESA form. The adviser wrote a letter to my GP requesting a report. My GP is not working until next week so I have to wait until then to sort this out. I was last in contact with my GP three weeks ago to increase my medication for OCD, depression and anxiety and have always tried to keep my GP informed of my illness.

It is very difficult to get an appointment with my GP who only works on certain days. The practice now has a policy of first having a GP consultation over the phone before an appointment can be made. I find it very difficult to discuss anything over the phone. My question is, should I write an account of how my illness affects me for my GP and hand that in with the CAB letter or contact my GP directly? Over the years since I became ill I've explained to my GP how my illness affects me so the information should be in my notes. If I write a detailed letter will it seem presumptuous of me if my GP already has that information in my notes? Is a GP report usually very detailed or a general overview of the effects of the illness? I know my GP is very busy and don't want to add to that pressure and be an annoyance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #181606 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic GP report advice.
Hi Spectralis,

Some GPs totally refuse to write letters for claims, some will write just a few words (maybe confirming diagnosis) and others will produce a detailed report. It is not a part of the GP/NHS contract, so it is up to them :(

DWP have the right to ask to look at anything you gave your GP when requesting the report. It is important that you are not seen as trying to put words into the GP's mouth as this can discredit the report.

What we often suggest is printing out a copy of the descriptors, with the points removed, and ask your GP to comment as they see fit.

May I suggest that you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future? This will allow you to return with further questions or comments about your ESA without having to start a new topic each time. We ask members to keep everything relating to the same claim in one topic as it helps us enormously - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #181842 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Replied by rayisfun@hotmail.com on topic GP report advice.
Thanks for your reply. To be safe, I think I should just hand in the letter from the CAB and a note asking my GP to contact me if she needs any further information. I can always find my posts by going into my profile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #182299 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Where can I find a copy of the descriptors for ESA? Are they in the B&W guides? I've not received the ESA form yet.

Also, how can a GP comment on a case if they can't ask their patient how their illness affects them? Over the years I've discussed how my illness affects me psychologically and physically and its impact on my life but not to the extent of describing every problem in detail. My GP rarely has the time to go into such detail during a 15 minute consultation. I'll try to get a report from the psychologist who assessed me 5 months ago as well. Is there a time limit on how recent an assessment has to be?

The cuts in MH services makes it so difficult to receive on-going support. If I could get that kind of support I would. For the past year I've tried to get counselling but only short CBT courses are available. If I wanted on-going counselling the local NHS psychology service could only refer me to services that required a weekly financial commitment that I couldn't afford. Unless people are in crisis there seems to be no on-going support.

More
7 years 2 months ago #182302 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic GP report advice.
Spectralis

Yes, the Descriptors are in the ESA Claim guides.

There is no reason why a GP cannot ask their patient how their conditions affect them, they just don't, as frustrating as that it is.

You can always ask to see your medical records.

Requesting your medical records

Charging for medical records

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #182341 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Thanks I'll look up the guides. My GP was willing to discuss how my illness affects me for the report but I explained that I was told not to put words in her mouth. Was that wrong? I'm really confused about this.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.