× Members

O POINTS

More
7 years 2 months ago #182431 by Dee
O POINTS was created by Dee
:S
I have been on ESA due to suffering from Psoriatic Arthritis and GERD Colitis and Osteoporosis and also a number of other health conditiins.
Went to a medical where despite the "Maximus" HCA making note if my medical evidence and me inforing her I get a cab to get out and very rarely use public transport she awarded me 0 points.
Her rationale for this inter alia was that I could use my mobile and a tablet.
I have a variable condition in terms of how it affects me daily, also have a kidney stone and am on the list for 18 months for a procedure and have developed a urinary stone.
It seems as though none of this is relevant as Maximus can put what they feel like
I am dismayed that I can be awarded 0 points given my history and her putting down I have muscoskeltal disorder as opposed to arthritis which requires injections
I now have to go,to appeal and claim JSA in the interim

Dil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #182448 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic O POINTS
Dee

ESA claimants have to meet very specific criteria for an award.

Once your claim for JSA has been accepted and is in payment then you should be able to present a new Fit Note and be excused from any Job Search Commitment for up to 13 weeks.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our ESA MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the ESA area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report (ESA85), if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dee

More
7 years 2 months ago #182784 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic O POINTS
You're not alone, I also got zero points.

When you have a variable or fluctuating condition you have to be very careful in what you say, they'll be of the opinion if you can do something once then you can do it all of the time.

It's immensely frustrating, it's better to use your worst day as an example but tell them you're like that every day!

Next time I have a medical I'll be asking for it to be recorded, don't be chatty as it'll be held against you, as is everything that you do or say.

Good luck with the appeal!

More
7 years 1 month ago #185202 by Dee
Replied by Dee on topic O POINTS
Hi Bill
I have just be informed that my mandatory reconsideration has resulted in a refusal to reinstate my ESA
I have yet to receive the reasons for this but now have to go to a tribunal for reconsideration and reinstatement
This is a daunting prospect as it is the first time I have never been in such a position before so will look to the information posted on here as a guiide

Dil

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #185218 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic O POINTS
Hi Dee,

I'm sorry - but not surpised - the the MR did not go in your favour. It is unusual for it to do anything other than 'rubber stamp' the first decision.

Now that you have the MR decision, you can proceed to appeal. This is explained in the ESA/appeal guides, which also contains a link to the SSCS1 form that you will need.

You don't need to supply at lot of information to lodge the appeal. DWP will explain their arguments and you will get a copy of this (and all other paperwork that DWP have in relation to this claim) and that is when you can make your own case, including rebuttal of DWP statements.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by slugsta.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.