× Members

revised mobility criteria in PIP

More
7 years 1 month ago #182819 by DRAGON2009
revised mobility criteria in PIP was created by DRAGON2009
The new criteria due to come in a few weeks will make sure that psychological distress wont count when out on journeys. There is a possibility that parliament might yet force change but assuming it goes ahead which is most likely then what of claims put in before the implementation date of the new regs Should they not be decided on the old regs as interpreted by the Upper Tribunal panel of 3 judges ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #182851 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic revised mobility criteria in PIP

XFACTOR wrote: The new criteria due to come in a few weeks will make sure that psychological distress wont count when out on journeys. There is a possibility that parliament might yet force change but assuming it goes ahead which is most likely then what of claims put in before the implementation date of the new regs Should they not be decided on the old regs as interpreted by the Upper Tribunal panel of 3 judges ?

The DWP view is that their guidance remains unchanged. the modification of the Descriptors is simply to re-instate the original intention of the Descriptors.

Bottom line, no they won't take any account of the "old" regulations.

It's important to understand that the UTT Decision merely opens the door for a claimant to be awarded the higher rate due to mental health issues, they still need to show that they meet the requirements to do so, one of the disingenuous statements made by the DWP is the number of claimants that would now be able to qualify through this route, based on what I see in the forum, very few claimants actually would.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 1 month ago #182874 by DRAGON2009
Replied by DRAGON2009 on topic revised mobility criteria in PIP
Thank you Gordan

Have I got this wrong in that my understanding is that it was not only higher mobility but also standard rate that was clarified as feasible by the UT case and that now descriptors which previously awarded points for overwhelming distress have been reworded to ensure that cannot occur

I presume that one could still argue for the interpretation of the UT case if ones own claim is before the regulation change implementation and a rejected claim could still be appealed and this point argued .

More
7 years 1 month ago #182901 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic revised mobility criteria in PIP
XFACTOR

You are right that the Standard rate was included but eligible claimants would likely be targeting either (e) or (f), also I think the arguments that someone would use for mental health problems would not necessarily be different for an unfamiliar route rather than a familiar one.

Whilst you can make the arguments, it will be when the Decision is made that will count and we expect the DWP to hold back the Decision on claims where this would be an issue until after the law changes.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.