× Members

Proposed change to PIP re. taking medication

More
7 years 2 months ago #182890 by suemccaff
Hi

Along with the new descriptors for travelling that are going to impact upon those with mental health Ive read that there are changes to descriptors that involve taking medication, also as a result of rulings that favoured the disabled person.

I have looked everywhere but can't find any more on this. Do you have a link or do you know what will be altered?.
Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #182916 by Gordon
Suziq

The changes are on the following link, if you scroll down then this is a explanation of the changes

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2017/194/made

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: suemccaff

More
7 years 1 month ago #183801 by Dollytrigger
Replied by Dollytrigger on topic Proposed change to PIP re. taking medication
Ok I've had to finally give in and reply to this message, lol. I am about to fill in PIP2 form and have been trying to understand what the changes are exactly to the medication area of the form. Having never filled in a PIP form i do not know what the details were before to understand the new changes. I have been onto your link above but it is put in a very technical way and i can not make head nor tail of it. Is there a less technical explanation out there somewhere to help me get things clearer in my mind before filling it in. I don't like trying to do something without understanding it fully first. Question 5 in the pip form combines all 3 - Managing treatments/ Managing medications and monitoring your condition. The new regulations seem to be splitting them up but the form doesn't. Thank you in advance.

More
7 years 1 month ago #183804 by Gordon
Dollytrigger

The existing Descriptor and definitions are in the PIP Claim guide which I hope your using to help you complete the PIP2.

The new definitions and Descriptor are as follows, if your claim was/is started before the 16th then these changes should not apply.

a. Either –
(i) does not receive medication or therapy or need to monitor a health condition; or
(ii) can manage medication or therapy or monitor a health condition unaided. 0 points.
b. Needs any one or more of the following –
(i) to use an aid or appliance to be able to manage medication;
(ii) supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage medication.
(iii) supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to monitor a health condition. 1 point.
c. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes no more than 3.5 hours a week. 2 points.
d. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes more than 3.5 but no more than 7 hours a week. 4 points.
e. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes more than 7 but no more than 14 hours a week. 6 points.
f. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes more than 14 hours a week. 8 points.

“Manage medication” means take medication, where a failure to do so is likely to result in a deterioration in your health.

“Manage therapy” means undertake therapy, where a failure to do so is likely to result in a deterioration in your health.

“Medication” means medication to be taken at home which is prescribed or recommended by a registered –
(a) doctor;
(b) nurse; or
(c) pharmacist.

“Therapy” means therapy to be undertaken at home which is prescribed or recommended by
a—
(a) registered –
(i) doctor;
(ii) nurse; or
(iii) pharmacist; or
(b) health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council,
but does not include taking or applying, or otherwise receiving or administering, medication (whether orally, topically or by any other means), or any action which falls within the definition of “monitor a health condition

“Monitor a health condition” means –
(a) detect significant changes in your health condition which are likely to lead to a deterioration in C’s health; and
(b) take action advised by a –
(i) registered doctor;
(ii) registered nurse; or
(iii) health professional who is regulated by the Health Professions Council, without which C’s health is likely to deteriorate.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dollytrigger

More
7 years 1 month ago #183818 by Dollytrigger
Replied by Dollytrigger on topic Proposed change to PIP re. taking medication
Thank you Gordon,
Have printed the claims guide off and printed the new definitions you've kindly given me. I will be ringing for the initial PIP1 telephone call next Wednesday 15th as i have until 17th to ring. Does this mean i will definitely be on previous descriptors and definitions or may possibly need to use new ones you've given me. The dates are so close I'm unsure if i should just go with new ones. Can the new regulations hinder me in any way? Do they make things more difficult in your opinion?

More
7 years 1 month ago #183821 by Gordon

Dollytrigger wrote: Thank you Gordon,
Have printed the claims guide off and printed the new definitions you've kindly given me. I will be ringing for the initial PIP1 telephone call next Wednesday 15th as i have until 17th to ring. Does this mean i will definitely be on previous descriptors and definitions or may possibly need to use new ones you've given me. The dates are so close I'm unsure if i should just go with new ones. Can the new regulations hinder me in any way? Do they make things more difficult in your opinion?

Your claim starts when the DWP have a completed PIP1, the questions you are asked on the phone allow them to complete the PIP1 for you on the DWP computer system, providing there is no reason for them to request additional information, this would be rare then your claim should be classed as starting on that day.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.