× Members

How quick do you get ESA payment after claiming?

More
7 years 1 month ago #183291 by HarryC
Is ESA being phased out and replaced with universal credit? When will this all happen and how will it affect current and new claimants?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #183293 by HarryC
Will the HMRC be able to tell me if I qualify for ESA (cb), are they used to dealing with ESA queries?

More
7 years 1 month ago #183316 by Gordon

HarryC wrote: Is ESA being phased out and replaced with universal credit? When will this all happen and how will it affect current and new claimants?

All Income Related benefits (e.g. ESA(IR)) are being replaced by Universal Credit, Contribution Based benefits (e.g. ESA(CB)) are not affected.

Claimants will at some time be migrated to UC, best guess at the moment is that this will start in two or three years.

Claimants making a new claim for ESA in what is called a Full Service UC area, will have to claim ESA under UC rather than just ESA. Lots of areas have UC rolled out but are not Full Service yet, in these areas new claims are still for ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 1 month ago #183317 by Gordon

HarryC wrote: Will the HMRC be able to tell me if I qualify for ESA (cb), are they used to dealing with ESA queries?

No but they can tell you if you have the required NI Contributions in the required Tax Years.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 1 month ago #183386 by HarryC
How will claiming ESA (IR) under UC differ to the original way of claiming ESA(IR)? Is the criteria/descriptors the same?

Will the new ESA(IR) equivalent be given a new name under UC? Must be some terminology to differentiate those 'on the dole' seeking work and those on 'the sick'?

More
7 years 1 month ago #183393 by smallboy
On my recent visit to jobcenterplus Chippenham a new desk with banner was set up for universal credit, I asked if I should move from ESA and PIP to UC and was told I would be worst off and would not be able to claim PIP as well as UC. When I did an online scoring after putting in my details it looked as if I would be better off , I think my area goes full UC in MAY.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.