× Members

Claiming or not claiming JSA after taken off ESA

• moutainsandoceans
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #184555 by moutainsandoceans
Claiming or not claiming JSA after taken off ESA was created by moutainsandoceans
Hi

As far as I can tell, either you claim JSA once you're taken off or you're a bit stuck.

Once it ends, is it very much a stupid idea not to claim JSA immediately? Why?

I feel as though it's going to create too much stress, and would rather be able to come off it and just process the MR, and then after that, the appeal without having to go through the JSA and WP rigomorrol. Is this a unwise idea?

Thanks gordon/mrs hurtyback et al.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #184590 by Gordon

moutainsandoceans wrote: Hi

As far as I can tell, either you claim JSA once you're taken off or you're a bit stuck.

Once it ends, is it very much a stupid idea not to claim JSA immediately? Why?

I feel as though it's going to create too much stress, and would rather be able to come off it and just process the MR, and then after that, the appeal without having to go through the JSA and WP rigomorrol. Is this a unwise idea?

Thanks gordon/mrs hurtyback et al.

JSA is the only benefit available to claimants during the MR stage of an appeal. If the MR is unsuccessful and the claimants requests an appeal then they can opt to go back onto ESA at the Assessment rate.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 1 month ago #184664 by slugsta
To add to Gordon'e helpful reply - there is no obligation to claim anything during the MR process if you do not immediately need the income.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• moutainsandoceans
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #184677 by moutainsandoceans
Replied by moutainsandoceans on topic Claiming or not claiming JSA after taken off ESA
Thank you.

I see, is there any rough time period you can suggest that I will have to wait while the MR is being done? Just curious as if I don't claim JSA during this period I will have to be frugal.

As you mentioned, if I'm able to go back onto the assessment rate after this wait, then I'd rather just do that than claim JSA.

Considering what my WP will be making me do.

More
7 years 1 month ago #184706 by slugsta
There is no time scale within which a MR must be decided. Many are completed within around 4-6 weeks but some members have waited for some months.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.