PIP changes from tomorrow

• kimberleyaselliott
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #184609 by kimberleyaselliott
PIP changes from tomorrow was created by kimberleyaselliott
Hi there,

Can I please ask for some advice.
I am currently in receipt of DLA from 2013-2018.
I have not yet been invited to claim PIP.

I would like to avoid the changes that begin tomorrow.
Would it be advisable to make a telephone claim this evening to start the process?
I am aware that I can be called any time up to 2018 for migration to PIP automatically.

I am currently in receipt of DLA - low rate mobility; higher rate care based on a mental health condition only with no physical disability.

Thank you for your advice,

Kimberley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #184632 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP changes from tomorrow
kimberleyase

I'm hoping that you did not phone this afternoon.

PIP was deliberately engineered to be a more difficult to award than DLA, the sole intention of the new benefit is to reduce the Disability budget by at least 20%, as a result a lot of DLA claimants are seeing reduced awards and many are receiving none at all.

You really cannot make a decision on self-selecting based on one issue alone!

At the risk of being rude to other members, since the changes to the Going Out activity started some six weeks ago it has been clear that very few members have actually understood the changes and even fewer have actually met the changed criteria, certainly no more than one hands worth.

The bottom line is that we simply can't predict how any individual claim will be processed and you could easily lose everything if you don't carefully decide what you want to do!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• kimberleyaselliott
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 weeks ago #185774 by kimberleyaselliott
Replied by kimberleyaselliott on topic PIP changes from tomorrow
Hi Gordon,

Thank you so very much for your reply.

Unfortunately I did call and begin the PIP claim on 15th March, I didn't see your message on time.

Please can you advise as I have now received the 'How your disability affect you' form dated 15th March.

Q11b Do you find it difficult to mix with other people because of severe anxiety and distress?

Q13b Are you unable to go out because of severe anxiety or distress?

(It is quite sensitive as in recent years 2015-16 my mental health has been a massive challenge, including a suicide attempt and was unable to leave the house for approx 8 months due to delusions and fear of people/psychosis). I have never been hospitalised but have had daily care from the home treatment/crisis teams, have a care plan and see my CMHT weekly (psychologist,psychiatrist, mental health nurse and social worker).

Does a suicide attempt this constitute to anxiety and distress? Would it come under mobility or care?

Thank you for your advice

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #185802 by Gordon
kimberleyase

I can't really advise on what you should answer for these two questions, do you have problems mixing with other people and do you have problems going out? If you do then you should indicate this on the form.

You must be able to complete the PIP activities "reliably" and "on the majority of days", these terms are explained in the PIP Claim guide.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: kimberleyaselliott

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #185810 by HarryC
Replied by HarryC on topic PIP changes from tomorrow
Maybe the person could simply not return the PIP form if you think it would be best for them not put the claim in, or is that too late now since the ball has started rolling?

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #185828 by Gordon

HarryC wrote: Maybe the person could simply not return the PIP form if you think it would be best for them not put the claim in, or is that too late now since the ball has started rolling?

Once a DLA claimant makes a claim for PIP, even if not invited, then they cannot withdraw from the process without losing their DLA claim.

So having started the claim, the OP must now return the PIP2.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.