× Members

DLA to PIP. PIP 1 paper form vs a telephone call.

More
7 years 15 hours ago #188083 by leed46
Hi folks

I've received the standard DWP 0202 letter alerting me that my DLA award is due to end soon and to make a claim for PIP by 03.05.17. Their follow-up reminder 0203 letter arrived today, alerting me that I am running out of time to claim PIP.

I note that the DWP's preference is for me to phone their office. But my disabilities mean that I can really only write (and even this is done for me by my Carer).

Having just drafted a letter ready to send back to the DWP which includes all of the details that they have asked for in their initial letter (eg: GP contact details, DoB, address, NI number, Bank details, etc...), I note from your guide something called a PIP 1 form?

Q1:
I wondered whether my return letter to the DWP should just simply ask for a PIP 1 form to be sent to me? Or whether perhaps they'll send me one anyway when I post the letter that I've just written to them?

Q2:
When the DWP receive my letter stating that I wish to claim PIP (rather than a phonecall), does this letter of mine register with the DWP as the start of my claim and hence, is within the deadline (03.05.17) for me to qualify as continuing to receive DLA for the time being?

Or will the DWP only register my claim for PIP once they've received a completed PIP 1 and hence, given the extra time that this will take, am I at risk of losing my existing DLA that would normally still be paid whilst my PIP application is being assessed?

Kind regards
Leed46

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 15 hours ago #188098 by Gordon
Leed

Although you can request a copy of the PIP1 be sent to you, everybody on the forum who has gone down this route has had major problems in doing so and has also suffered considerable delays in receiving the form.

It is not a route that I can recommend unless there are no other options.

Your claim for PIP is not considered to have been started until the DWP have received and entered the information from a PIP1 onto the PIP computer system.

Can your carer call on your behalf? You would need to be present for the call to answer the security questions and to authorise the call but your carer can answer all of the questions on your behalf. The PIP Claim guide has a list of the questions that they will be asked.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you fail to start your claim by the 3 May then your DLA will be suspended and you will be given a further four weeks to start a claim after which your DLA claim will be closed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: leed46, Strange

More
6 years 11 months ago #188309 by leed46
Thanks Gordon. I almost fell at the first hurdle.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.