× Members

Applying for PIP from DLA

More
6 years 10 months ago #190153 by lesley
Applying for PIP from DLA was created by lesley
Hi i have just joined you & have just received the letter staing i have to apply for PIP as my DLA is coming to the end. I am 67 this year and have been on DLA for 25 years and was awarded this for life, wgmhich as we know DOES NOT APPLY NOW!!!How the goalposts move to any Governments advantage.

Im so worked up over this i have had Fibromyalgia for many years & before i was diagnosed (takes years at time) i had through my Doctor stating i had to give up working due to severe arthritis in my spine, spondalosis of neck and discs bulging. Obviously over time this has all deteriorated, i have never asked for more from DLA i was awarded high rate mobility and low rate care, i have been re assessed in the time of my DLA 6 times and gone through awful trauma through a person reporting me on numerous occassions to the Fraud Line, i know who it was but could not stop it, i had fraud investigation on my doorstep, visits from DWP investigators and called into local job cente to be interviwed by investigators, most of whom listened to me and took no further action, my last visit to them in 2004 the person who interviewed me was horrendous, i was left ahaking and felt like a criminal and told all my benefits would stop at the time i was still on incapacity benefit. All this made my conditions worse.
After a week i managed to do a letter to DLA stating all i had gone through over the years and if they didnt refrain from targeting me, i was consulting a Solicitor, as it was harrassment, each time i was interviewed i asked if it was a woman who reported me on the phone line, they did confirm it was a woman and i said surely they could check to see if the same voice.
I received a letter from them saying how sorry they were and i was left alone.
Having to now go through all the red tape again fills me with horror and already i feel sick and so worried.
Since joining you i have read some of the info which is very imformative, i think (and im laughing as i know my form will not go through without rejection or a face to face consultation ) i may qualify for the enhanced rate for care, but am worried over motobility i stopped getting a motobility car some years ago as realky thought i would have been re assessed much sooner!!!! Did not want to be in a position of having it taken away!!! But the section for planning and doing journeys does not apply to me and i only score 10 on the section as a whole, i walk with elbow crutches and have a wheelchair, what do i do
Any help eould be most appreciated. Thank you and sorty to be so long winded. Lesley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #190174 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Applying for PIP from DLA
Lesley

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

If your problems are only physical then I would not expect you to score for the Going Out activity.

From your post you are assessing yourself as being able to stand and then move more than 20m but not more than 50m.

You must be able to do this reliably and on the majority of days, so you need to think about whether this is a reasonable picture of what you can do. If you can't do this reliably then it is possible to show that the shorter distance of 20m should be used.

Apart from having a look at the four terms used for reliably, if you can show that your walking is done in severe pain, be aware that you are not required to walk pain free, then there is Case Law that supports the argument that you are not walking to a necessary standard.

Any usage of a wheelchair will not be considered.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #190436 by lesley
Replied by lesley on topic Applying for PIP from DLA
Thank you Gordon, i will certainly take your advice on board, i do walk with my crutch sticks and have pain all the time, so you are right in stating 20 metres, as pain starts as soon as i walk!! I consulted my Dr last year as i have constant pain down the outside of my leg, that has now radiated into the very top of inner leg, Dr stated on examination was my hip. I am on my state pension and have been since May 2011.
In my form when submitting additional info shud i state when i get up from sitting, that i have to stand for a minute or longer as my left leg is weak and feels it wont bear my weight and once i move pain is severe.

I cannot lie on my left side at all due to pain in leg and shoulder and obviously my back, using my left side crutch causes real pain in my shoulder and some days i cannot use it.

I know my Dr will give me a detailed report to submit with my form. Its just very difficult as so many others in my position know only too well how the trauma of the process puts you under so much strain and Fibromyalgia sufferers go through more pain due due to this stress. I am sure most will agree. Oh how i wanted to retain enough of the motobility compobent to allow me the independence and freedom of having a car again, but now fear this will be not possible along with the fight over the care side. Really despondent.
Thanks though, Lesley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.