× Members

Does son working effect my ESA payments?

More
6 years 10 months ago #190257 by EH
Hi there, I'm currently in the ESA support group and get PIP also. I live alone with my 19 year old son and up until now he has been in full time education. However he's just got a full time job and officially starts tomorrow although the first couple of weeks he will be doing unpaid training. We've spent today contacting all the different benefits but the response from the Job Centre Plus line in relation to my ESA has left me very confused and I wonder if anyone can help? They told me that my son's earnings might have an effect on the amount of ESA I get depending on how much he earns and they are sending a form in the post for me to fill in so my claim can be looked at again. Now I know that him working can effect the disability premium part of my ESA that I get, as whilst in education he was classed as a dependant and when he's working he will be classed as an adult, but will it effect the rest of my ESA? I've been looking and looking on the Government and CAB websites but can only find information about 'You and Your Partner' and none about other adults that live with you such as adult children. Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #190274 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Does son working effect my ESA payments?
EH

His no longer being in full time education may impact on the Premiums you are paid, but I am not aware of any impact on your actual ESA, he is now a non dependant and as such is not part of your household.

Do you receive Housing Benefit as his working would have an impact on this as he will now be expected to contribute to this?

It is possible that the person you spoke to just doesn't understand the ESA system!

Come back to the forum when you have sight of the form, if you need further assistance.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH

More
6 years 10 months ago #190457 by EH
Hi Again,

I've received the form and its an ESA3 form, 'Application for Re-assessment'.

There is a section in it about other people who live with you which includes relatives and it asks for details of their earnings. It's a messy situation to try and explain on a form as my son doesn't officially finish college until another few weeks, his employment contract started 1st June 17 but for the first few weeks or so will be doing unpaid training for his employer. I know what his hourly rate will be and that it's full time but we have no idea what the actual hours will be or when he will start getting paid. Tax Credits and Child Benefit said they will continue to pay me regardless of his job, as he is still in full time education but to contact them again when his course officially ends. Housing Benefit and Council Tax said they will will follow what Child Benefit have said and will look at it again when Child Benefit payments end. So, I guess I just have to try and explain all this in the 'Other Information' section and then contact them again once he has received his first pay slip and give them all the missing information?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.