× Members

Pip and moving around

More
6 years 10 months ago #190354 by Susan Smith
Pip and moving around was created by Susan Smith
Hi again, I am now on the question of moving around on pip form, and I don't really know which box to tick for distance on walking.
I am in constant pain even when I'm not walking, sitting down is painful, but does the question actually require me to put in how far can I walk even though I'm in pain, or does it mean that I should not be in pain at all when walking.
I know that I could do 20 - 50 metres although I would be in pain or, do I perhaps tick the less than 20 metres as it's never painless.
I do have a blue disability badge that the doctor suggested, and it is a godsend to me.
Any help would be gratefully received.
Many thanks again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #190365 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip and moving around
Sue

All I can really do is go through the criteria for you, only you can decide what it is you write on the form.

First of all, you are not required to complete any of the PIP activities without pain, but pain that limits your ability to complete an activity should be taken into account, so if pain restricts the distance that you can walk then it is this distance that you should consider using.

For walking only, if you can show that your pain is severe, there is no definition of this, then even if you can walk then you can argue that this distance should be ignored as you are not walking to a proper standard.

The test requires you to be able to stand and then move, so if you have problems rising to a standing position then this is something to include.

You must be able to able to complete an activity on the majority of days, so if the distance varies then you need to consider this. Be aware the majority of the time is not the same as the majority of days, so be careful of specifying your capabilities as a percentage, it's much better to use days a week or a month, weeks a year, etc.

You must be able to complete an activity reliably, I've already mentioned doing so to an appropriate standard, the full set of terms are;

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

So if your walking is very slow, or you have to stop frequently then it is possible that you cannot do it reliably.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KathyS

More
6 years 10 months ago #190411 by Susan Smith
Replied by Susan Smith on topic Pip and moving around
Ok, thank you Gordon, its a great help, will carry on with the said form.

More
6 years 10 months ago #190423 by RedFlag
Replied by RedFlag on topic Pip and moving around
My wife had her assessment yesterday and she had been worried about this aspect too (She has secondary progressive multiple sclerosis which affects her ability to walk). We wrote to her neurological consultant a few weeks ago and had an appointment with him where we asked for his opinion on my wife's ability to walk around in the context of the reliability criteria which must be applied. We took along the various descriptors and, to cut a long story short, the consultant wrote a "To whom it may concern" letter describing my wife's difficulties in walking and concluding with a very clear paragraph stating his opinion that my wife "cannot walk more than 1 metre safely, repeatedly or within a normal time period, either aided or unaided". When I read this out, it appeared to stop the assessor in her tracks and I asked her to make sure that this was inserted into her report. She said that she would. In fact, when she carried out a brief examination of my wife but did this while she remained seated and did not ask her to stand or to see her walk. Whilst we have not yet received the decision, I am hopeful that the opinion of a medical professional expressed so clearly will carry some weight with the decision maker. It might be worth trying to ask your doctor or medical professional to provide a similar letter based on his opinion of which descriptor applies. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Canary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.