× Members

No appeal after 6 months -make a new claim? (ESA)

More
6 years 10 months ago #190477 by Rayland7
Hi,
I failed my assessment for ESA 6 months ago, so I claimed JSA and wrote asking for the mandatory reassessment required before getting an appeal - I heard nothing and never got to appeal but now that 6 months have passed I could make a new claim.

With the time that's past I assume I couldn't get the appeal now anyway, and the worry is that if I did and lost I wouldn't be able make a claim for ESA for yet another 6 months, would this be the case?

I didn't manage this very well I know, I was too anxious to phone them and couldn't find the address I'd written to, but between hospital and job center appointments I'm just happy to have got by for the past months and am thinking forget about it and
make a new claim.. would there any problems with doing that do you think?
grateful for your advice, thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #190519 by Gordon
Rayland

Unless you can show that your original conditions have deteriorated or you have a new condition reasonably likely to result in an ESA award, then any new claim that you make will be rejected by the DWP.

You are not too late to sort out an appeal, if you requested an MR and have not received a Decision on it then you should chase the DWP office that dealt with your claim for an up date.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #190561 by Rayland7

Gordon wrote: Rayland

Unless you can show that your original conditions have deteriorated or you have a new condition reasonably likely to result in an ESA award, then any new claim that you make will be rejected by the DWP.

Gordon

Oh, so I can't make another claim unless worse, even after 6 months? I've been thinking at least I could make another claim, so it's definitely only option is to chase up the reconsideration then?
Thanks for help.

More
6 years 10 months ago #190563 by Rayland7

Gordon wrote: Rayland

Gordon

Oh, so I can't make a new claim even after 6 months have passed (unless worse),
I'll have to chase up the reassessment then?

If I were to end my claim for JSA could I still pursue the reassessment?

thank you

More
6 years 10 months ago #190573 by Gordon
Rayland

If You cannot show a documented deterioration in your original conditions or a new condition then the only way you may receive ESA again is by challenging the ESA Fit for Work Decision from six months ago. The rules changed several years ago!

If you close your JSA claim then you may not be entitled to any other payments, ESA is not payable during the MR stage, but if you go on to appeal then you can receive the ESA Assessment rate while you wait for a hearing.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #190591 by Rayland7
Do you know if I could stop claiming JSA and still pursue the reassessment?
sorry for the double post my browser crashed

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.