× Members

Applying for Disability Working Tax Credits

More
6 years 10 months ago #190814 by tinkertytonk
Applying for Disability Working Tax Credits was created by tinkertytonk
Dear All, I am in the support group for the next two years with mental health issues (depression/anxiety). I have been in it for two years (thanks to your guides).

However, I am considering making the leap into the workforce as self-employed (I think I will go truly insane if I stay in the support group much longer) the isolation is desperate and mental health provision limited. I have the following questions to ask:

(1) I have looked into this in some depth and it appears you have to make the decision and then hope the DWP & Tax office say it's OK and get the Disability Working Tax Credits. Now this is terrifying as I don't know if I'm able to become self employed until I do it. Is there a way you can try doing this and then go back onto the same benefit (support group) without being reassessed? My doctor will fully support my application stating this condition will be ongoing, that my condition puts me at a disadvantage getting a job and by being in the support group for as long as I have been entitles me to apply for the benefit; thus I hit all the criteria I have found out so far. Still bloody scared stiff that the DWP or Tax office are going to shaft me to put it bluntly.

(2) any advice at all at what I am considering doing?

Thanks, Tinkerty Tonk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #190829 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Applying for Disability Working Tax Credits
Darrell

Have you looked at whether you could do Permitted Work, this would allow you to do the self-employment whilst continuing to receive your ESA, there is a guide to PW in the ESA section.

If you decide to close your ESA claim to do the work, the be aware that you can make a rapid reclaim proving you do so within 12 weeks of your claim being closed, outside of this and it will be a completely new claim for ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #190847 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic Applying for Disability Working Tax Credits
Just wanted to mention tax credits have an online chat if you go to their website and also a calculator telling you how much you might get. It may be universal credit for new claims on your area so might be something you want to check out as well. I understand the universal credits are taking over from tax credits and unsure if these will also have the disability working premium, although there may be some kind of transitional protection. It's a lot to think about, I'm in a similar position.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.