× Members

Car Insurance

More
6 years 10 months ago #191242 by PolaBear
Car Insurance was created by PolaBear
Hi everyone, been a while

Thanks to your help, a couple of months ago I was awarded Support group ESA from a diagnosis of High functioning Austism/Aspergers (and co morbids of that). One of things I knew was coming this year would be renewal of my car insurance, as now I have a diagnosis (didn't until about a year or so ago) and didn't think or want to put it on my insurance as it's not something that affects my driving (have driven for about 10 years now).

The difference now is that not being in employment I would have to put this on my renew form, but the category of "unemployed" isn't exactly right as I am am not employed due to what I guess would be "disability" which is different, an insurer saying that unemployed would be higher costs as they use a car more obviously doesn't apply here.

I do use my car but not regularly in terms of long distance or places I don't know, think iv done around 4000 miles a year, obviously don't want it to become a high premium given my situation. From a condition point of view, although I can drive, it wouldn't mean for example I could do a driving job as that is regular/timed/pressured situations which is very different to being able to stop when you want or have to, in some cases iv even turned around and gone back! Took me 9 times to pass my driving test and was sick with anxiety throughout them all! Though once I did pass I now have no claims.

Any advice or knowledge on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #191254 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Car Insurance
PB

I'm afraid this isn't something we can help you with.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #191259 by pomaus
Replied by pomaus on topic Car Insurance
Due to disability discrimination law's, Insurers are not allowed to charge more for insurance for a disabled person to that of an able bodied person. No matter what the illness.
Even people with dementia are not allowed to be charged higher premiums.

Insurers are allowed to charge higher premiums according to peoples Job description.
They are allowed to charge higher premiums for people who are classified as "unemployed"
However, they cannot people who are classified as unemployed due to disability, there will be an option to select this under the job descriptions tab.

That being said, you should check with your GP whether your condition requires you to report it to the DVLA. though even if it does, the car insurance company can still not increase your premiums as long as the DVLA permits you to drive.

More
6 years 10 months ago #191281 by penthesili
Replied by penthesili on topic Car Insurance
This insurer is specifically for disabled people
www.fishinsurance.co.uk/ppc/disabled-car...3fv9QCFYWd7QodaZQNKw
Cheers, Pen

More
6 years 10 months ago #191430 by canttrusthesystem
Replied by canttrusthesystem on topic Car Insurance
You weren't by any chance, say, 'medically retired' and can put 'retired' or 'other' or something, rather than 'unemployed'?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.