× Members

PIP reassessment

More
6 years 10 months ago #191602 by princess tamina
PIP reassessment was created by princess tamina
I was awarded PIP at an appeal tribunal in December 2015 and the current award expires in December 2017. I haven't heard anything from the DWP as yet about reassessment, although someone I know whose award expires in February 2018 has just had a reassessment. I had fully expected to be reassessed before now after hearing of people receiving review forms up to a year in advance, so wondered if there are delays with reassessments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #191652 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP reassessment

princess tamina wrote: I was awarded PIP at an appeal tribunal in December 2015 and the current award expires in December 2017. I haven't heard anything from the DWP as yet about reassessment, although someone I know whose award expires in February 2018 has just had a reassessment. I had fully expected to be reassessed before now after hearing of people receiving review forms up to a year in advance, so wondered if there are delays with reassessments?

The DWP sometimes treat renewals that result from a Tribunal Decision differently from normal renewals.

Their first option was to carry out a reassessment one year before your award ends, they have obviously passed on doing this.

The next point they will look at your claim is 3 months before your current award ends. If they have not contacted you by then then I would contact them and initiate a renewal yourself as there next option is not to renew your claim at all.

Keep an eye on process times on the forum if you can, a renewal should be doable in 13 weeks but if there are problems in the system then it could take longer and I am sure you will want to avoid a period without payment. At the moment there is a 3-4 weeks delay in the reassessment process.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: princess tamina

More
6 years 10 months ago #191660 by Judy
Replied by Judy on topic PIP reassessment
Gordon, do you know if this has actually ever happened, someone left without any payment at all? If so what should they do, this is worrying that they can do even do that :(

More
6 years 10 months ago #191686 by Gordon

Judy wrote: Gordon, do you know if this has actually ever happened, someone left without any payment at all? If so what should they do, this is worrying that they can do even do that :(

Yes, we are aware of this happening, most PIP awards are for a fixed period so if no award is in place at the end of the current award then payments stop, new awards are usually started from the day after the previous one ended.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Judy

More
6 years 7 months ago #196709 by princess tamina
Replied by princess tamina on topic PIP reassessment
Update: I received a letter from the DWP on Saturday, informing me that my PIP ends on 1 December and that I have to make a new claim. Having rung the PIP helpline to query why I wasn't being sent a reassessment form I was told that because I had appealed the previous decision and the tribunal had said my award should run to 1/12/17, the award expires on that date and I have to claim again from scratch. It seems like yet another way of penalising those who choose to appeal an incorrect decision.

I asked whether all the previous evidence I submitted will be available to those dealing with the new claim and was told 'it should be', which hardly inspires confidence, so I won't be taking any risks and will send it again.

Has anyone been in the situation of having to make a fresh claim and can share their experience?

More
6 years 7 months ago #196712 by Gordon
princess tamina

It's an unusual situation at the moment, but I expect we will see more members effected in this way as time goes on.

Basically you are starting you claim again, to a considerable extent it will be the same as when you first applied for PIP.

I would not rely on any of the information from your previous claim being available to those assessing you this time and would resend everything again providing it is still relevant.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: princess tamina

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.