× Members

DLA > PIP F2F Severe OCD & moderate depression

More
6 years 9 months ago #192814 by Ceecee
Hello - first post so apologies if I mess this up.

I have been diagnosed ( officially in 2000) with severe OCD with moderate depression. I am currently on DLA (Middle Rate Care Lower Rate Mobility) but was contacted in March about the migration. Form filled in in April (probably overly detailed bcause of my OCD :-) )Got my letter 4/7 for F2F 12/7.

I was awarded DLA at a Tribunal back in 2008 & have never had a F2F with ATOS - actually years ago I did have a F2F about IB but then I was transferred to ESA (Support Group ) without havng to see anyone. So - it has been years - thankfully - since I have had to see a Benefits' related HP.

I was medically retired in 2000 - from the then Benefits Agency :-) My condition has never improved & in fact deteriorated after a cancer diagnosis (my OCD relates to fear of illness, so...) Happily, my cancer is in remission but I am on medications for the foreseeable. I also receive ESA as I mentioned.

Essentially I am petrified of this assessment - my OH will accompany me but how on earth can I communicate a secretive hidden mental illness in a F2F with a stranger. I have no current psychiatric support as essentially no treatment helped long term so it has been a matter of taking my meds & muddling through. OCD has a huge functional impact on everything I do/cannot do & I did comprehensively describe this on my CQ. But last time I applied (for DLA) the then DM declared that I 'chose' to be affected - so am not confident of my condition being understood! I do realise it's a tough one to get your head around but I crammed in so much information - which, I realise, may not even have been read prior to the F2F :-(

I have read all the guides (and so much other info) but the pathological doubt that is a marker of my OCD means I have no real sense that I have any idea what the hell I am doing/should do!!! I just feel physically sick & completely terrified - if anyone has some words of advice/wisdom I would be so grateful to hear them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #192835 by Gordon
Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I can understand how intimidating this is for you.

A couple of points for you, hopefully some of our members will contribute as well.

It's a necessary part of the process and your claim cannot progress without it, so try and use this to re-inforce you in attending.

Secondly, forums like B&W show the worst of the system, a lot of members only post because they are having problems with their claims, but they represent only a fraction of the claimants being reassessed at any particular time, the reality is that the vast majority of assessors are professional and that claimants usually receive the award that they are entitled to.

There's a section at the back of the PIP Claim that covers the assessment and the questions you are likely to be asked.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Best of luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ceecee

More
6 years 9 months ago #192846 by Ceecee
Thank you Gordon, that's good to hear :-)

More
6 years 9 months ago #192863 by David
As Gordon says the vast majoity of assessors are proffessional and even sympathetic, at least that was the experiance of my wife, my best friend and myself. We all had f2f assessments and although apprehensive we all received compassionate assessments and the awards that were fair.
We are all guilty of believing what we can see so people with physical challenges may have an easier time getting the award. That is like a brick wall, I can see it and if I hit it I know it will hurt.
I can't see electricity, it is hidden, but from experience I know that can hurt too. I can't explain it and unless you experienced it ( which I don't recommend ) would you believe that something you can't see can hurt you.
I wish you the very best future you can have
D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ceecee

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.