× Members

ESA Assessors qualifications and legal questions

More
6 years 9 months ago #192891 by Dalglish60
Are the people carrying out esa mental health medical assessments medically qualified in mental health e.g. studied, qualified, worked in community, hospitals, clinics etc and fully accredited by the respective British medical professional bodies like the British medical association and other such recognised qualifying bodies like royal college of psychiatry etc

Do these type of esa assessors perceive at the medical that if you are receiving treatment regularly from a consultant psychiatrist at a MH clinic on say 2, 3, 4 , 6 monthly periods, or visited by MH crisis teams at home because of the severity of mental health condition, or referred to psychotherapy cbt and the like, you are not experiencing enduring mh episodes. any more because of the care your getting.

do they believe because you are prescribed repeat medications for your mh conditions and associated illnesses, you are well on the road to recovery and therefore fully fit for work?

Are they, under the provisions of british legal laws, allowed to ask mh service users at medical why have not killed yourself yet ??

What kind of input does a person accompanying people at medical have in terms of:
that's a very inappropriate question, that question is not at all relevant to mr smiths condition or his other problems.

sorry if this is to much to ask.

ngup

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #192904 by Gordon
Ngup

I'll try and answer :)

Assessors are trained in mental health issues as part of their qualifying to be an assessor, this is to a standard set by the DWP. They are not required to have previous experience in mental health treatment.

I'm not sure of you next question, I think you have put a extra "not" that you did not intend.

Mental health is difficult, claimants may be stable because they are receiving treatment, they may also be unstable and require treatment. IN either case, the treatment may only address some of the issues that the claimant suffers from, an analogy might be someone with severe pain; they will have pain killers, but I would not expect these to make them pain free.

Both the assessors and DM are naïve about mental health issues, claimants need to document in detail how their conditions affect their ability to complete the PIP activities as those assessing them may not understand the depth of their problems.

I'm afraid there is nothing in law preventing them from asking why a claimant has not tried to kill themselves. Your GP might well ask this and we would not find it strange.

A companion can contribute to the assessment, but unless they are appointee for the claimant, it is at the discretion of the assessor whether they allow this or not, a good assessor will encourage the input, a bad one probably won't.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.