× Members

Maximus and Home Visits

More
6 years 9 months ago #193083 by Asbo
Maximus and Home Visits was created by Asbo
I'm worried because in your manual you say that Maximus are very reluctant to give home visits but I thought it was our right under the Equality Act 2010 (reasonable adjustments) as long as we have support from GP.

Atos gave me one for PIP.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #193088 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Maximus and Home Visits

Asbo wrote: I'm worried because in your manual you say that Maximus are very reluctant to give home visits but I thought it was our right under the Equality Act 2010 (reasonable adjustments) as long as we have support from GP.

Atos gave me one for PIP.

Thanks

I don't believe that claimants have any "right" to a home visit under the Equality Act, at best it would be on a case by case basis and would be a separate process to your ESA claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193091 by Asbo
Replied by Asbo on topic Maximus and Home Visits
I thought Under The Equality Act they were supposed to make 'reasonable adjustments'. That's why Atos do them and why the Job Centre make phone calls and texts etc, so nobody is discriminated against

More
6 years 9 months ago #193123 by Gordon

Asbo wrote: I thought Under The Equality Act they were supposed to make 'reasonable adjustments'. That's why Atos do them and why the Job Centre make phone calls and texts etc, so nobody is discriminated against

But the problem is that there is no definition of what a reasonable adjustment is for a home assessment.

The Equality Act is important legislation for the disabled but it is not responsive to the immediate needs of an individual, you can threaten action but if the company thinks it unlikely that you will pursue it then they can ignore you. Even if you did take it further then it would be many months before you had a Decision, so of no use to your assessment and such action is unlikely to set a precedent, so your case would help no one else in a similar position.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193195 by Asbo
Replied by Asbo on topic Maximus and Home Visits

Gordon wrote:

Asbo wrote: I thought Under The Equality Act they were supposed to make 'reasonable adjustments'. That's why Atos do them and why the Job Centre make phone calls and texts etc, so nobody is discriminated against

But the problem is that there is no definition of what a reasonable adjustment is for a home assessment.

I mean a reasonable adjustment would be to give a home visit rather than making someone come in for an assessment. Especially when they count it against people going in - "if you can get in, you can get to work". Atos offer home visits, I had one for my PIP last year....

The Equality Act is important legislation for the disabled but it is not responsive to the immediate needs of an individual, you can threaten action but if the company thinks it unlikely that you will pursue it then they can ignore you. Even if you did take it further then it would be many months before you had a Decision, so of no use to your assessment and such action is unlikely to set a precedent, so your case would help no one else in a similar position.

Gordon

More
6 years 9 months ago #193217 by Gordon
Asbo

I do understand what you are asking :)

But who do they do this for, claimants who physically or mentally never leave their house, what about claimants who can sometimes leave their house or those who would struggle to get to the venue? What about those that say they need a home assessment but cannot provide any evidence to support it?

Where is the line between allowing a home visit and not? What is the reasonable adjustment?

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Asbo

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.