× Members

Filling out PIP Form Mobility Question

More
6 years 9 months ago #193280 by Lima6
I'm in the process of completing my DLA to PIP form. I am currently on DLA HRM. I'm really not sure what to put for distance to walk because that depends on if I actually feel able enough to get out the house. I very rarely go out due to fatigue and also my pain medication makes me really drowsy & lightheaded - if I want to go out I have to stop taking the pain relief and rely on my TeNS unit.

Standing is painful at the best of times and I often have shooting pains down my leg that mean I can't put my foot to the floor to stand up. In the house I tend to use furniture to lean on to get from room to room and am usually knackered just going from the living room to the kitchen. If I go upstairs to the loo then, before I come back downstairs I have to go & have a lie down in the bedroom before I can face the stairs again. Do mobility problems within the house count in PIP?

My car sits about 10 metres from the house and by the time I get there & struggle to get into it I have to sit for a few minutes before I can set off. Then there are those times when I can walk the 50m mark but it is extremely painful on my back and my legs get wobbly, I tend to use a mobility scooter to go to the shops.

How much is the level of pain experienced while walking taken into consideration?

Does the fact that I am often too tired or doped up on painkillers to actually to even try to go out the house and walk make any difference?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just feeling the pressure as the clock is ticking for getting the form back - going to have to ask for an extension.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #193294 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Filling out PIP Form Mobility Question
You are not required to walk pain free but any pain that restricts the distance that you can walk should be taken into account.

Specifically for the Moving Around activity, if you are able to walk but you are in severe pain when doing so, then you can argue that your walking is not to a necessary standard and should be disregarded.

The legal test requires you to stand and then move (walk), so if you have problems getting up then you should document these as well.

You must be able to walk the distance you can, reliably and on the majority of days, both these terms are defined in the PIP Claim guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

So you need to explain what you can, how you are limited and why.

Rather than referring to days that you cannot go out due to tiredness, I would state that these are days that you cannot walk, assuming this is the case. Leaving the house is something looked at under the Going Out activity and you risk undermining your arguments by linking the two.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lima6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.