× Members

Going out? confusion, cant grasp it

More
6 years 9 months ago #193687 by Dribble
Replied by Dribble on topic Going out? confusion, cant grasp it
Thank you for your patience with me on this Gordon,just want to get it right before I go into battle and obviously any points gained will be of bonus if possible, so to finally clarify!! Following a route is not necessarily driving then your saying?
Does it encompass being on foot?
If this question doesn't consider mobility ,but pain caused by immobility ,which in turn causes anxiety in one self with respect to trying to follow a route either familiar or otherwise then have I got a case??
Or should I just resign to the fact that its a definite no . ?
Can you explain what their definition is of following a route, do they just mean reading maps , road signs instructions on paper? Thank you Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #193722 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Going out? confusion, cant grasp it
Dribble

There's no clear definition of what following a route is, it's not going to the corner of your road and it's not going from London to Leeds, perhaps a god example would be going from your home to the local shops. It can be on foot or by car, the principles are the same.

So you need to be able to understand where you are at any point in the journey, you need to be able to work out what you need to do next, you need to be able to deal with diversions or blockages to your route. The route must be navigated safely, so for walking you must be able recognise and go to safe places for crossing the road, for driving the equivalents would be taking notice of road signals, such as traffic lights, one way streets, give ways, etc.

The DWP consider this to be an issue of cognitive or sensory ability, you have no sensory problems that you have mentioned so you need to show that your cognitive ability can be limited, one of the ways this can be done is by a claimant experiencing such anxiety that they are unable to think clearly any more.

So as an example; if a claimant suffers from colitis or Crohn’s disease they may be too anxious to follow a journey unaccompanied because of fear of an episode of incontinence. If someone is with them then they can help the person to stay calm, help then to find a lavatory and help them deal with the aftermath of an episode of incontinence.

The important thing is that the physical problem leads to anxiety of sufficient scale that it prevents the person from continuing to follow the route., because it is being unable to follow the route that is being considered and not the underlying cause.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193769 by Dribble
So on that basis Gordon, given the crohns example, can I state then that I can't follow the route of an unfamiliar journey because the fear of my hip giving way or sticking which is agony, whilst Sat or walking causes me such anxiety that I would not attempt unfamiliar journeys unaided or assisted as I would get too anxious and they would have to take over or get me home . Sorry I know I'm being a pain , but I think this question is ridiculous.

More
6 years 9 months ago #193793 by Gordon

Dribble wrote: So on that basis Gordon, given the crohns example, can I state then that I can't follow the route of an unfamiliar journey because the fear of my hip giving way or sticking which is agony, whilst Sat or walking causes me such anxiety that I would not attempt unfamiliar journeys unaided or assisted as I would get too anxious and they would have to take over or get me home . Sorry I know I'm being a pain , but I think this question is ridiculous.

You need to concentrate on why you cannot navigate a route as it is this that will score the points.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193856 by Dribble
Me again sorry lol.
So how's this answer then for unable to navigate a route .
My physical disabilities can lead to such anxiety that I need to be accompanied to help with navigating a route. Their physical presence not only helps with the task in hand but also calms and reasures me and enables myself to complete journey.
Is this any good Gordon, please help I'm really struggling with all this .x

More
6 years 9 months ago #193873 by Gordon
Dribble

It's fine but you need to go on and explain how you are affected when there is not someone with you. A stand alone statement is nothing more than that you need to provide evidence an testimony to support what you are saying, I don't particularly like the phrase but you need to paint a picture of your problems.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.