× Members

ESA Appeal - Opinions Please

More
6 years 9 months ago #193675 by triggerfish
ESA Appeal - Opinions Please was created by triggerfish
So I have sent off my appeal application and today had an appointment with a local law centre.

At the beginning of 2015 I went to appeal and won my case which I handled myself. Now, despite my mental health deteriorating I was awarded zero points and this time I don't know if I have the strength to deal with it myself.

The issue I have is the lady at the law centre who is a qualified solicitor wants to deal with it almost as though I am going on trial and only use 'evidence' that is very much up to date whereas last time I made it more personal to my worsening health and ultimately the tribunal commented that their decision was based largely on my verbal submission.

By using a solicitor I am worried that I will be sidelined as she seems very much against any submissions, written or verbal, that don't meet her strict criteria.

Could others that have used professional assistance (free) please share their opinions on my choice of going it alone, using this lady I saw today or maybe seeking help elsewhere.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #193678 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Appeal - Opinions Please
Chaz

My 2d's worth.

Are you paying for experience?

If you are then have you seen references of where they have been successful with other people's appeals?

Whether you are paying or not, on one hand you are hoping her experience will win your appeal, on the other it's your appeal and only you profit or lose by the result. There's a balance point somewhere in between the two, you have to find that for yourself, how you view it will be very different from anybody else.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 9 months ago #193681 by triggerfish
Replied by triggerfish on topic ESA Appeal - Opinions Please
Gordon

I have no doubts as to her experience and expertise. Indeed she seems very passionate about the whole area of benefit injustice and devotes a lot of time to it.

You are right to say that only I can find the right balance between my previously personal approach and her professional outlook. I think in part it is my fear that this is yet another part of my life that I am faced with the reality of losing some control over.

Perhaps another less formal chat with her is the best thing to do initially?

Anyway, if anyone would like to share their experiences of using a highly experienced and motivated legal representative I would love to hear about it.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.