× Members

PIP Mandatory reconsideration?

More
6 years 8 months ago #196103 by Shelly
PIP Mandatory reconsideration? was created by Shelly
I have been awarded the higher rate for mobility but nothing for daily living. This gives me more than I was getting but it also means I'll lose my 'non-dependent' reduction in my housing & council tax benefit, which I get for my daughter who lives here and helps with my care. From what I have read by applying for a mandatory reconsideration I risk losing what I have been awarded. This strikes me as punitive and ridiculous - I am in a dilemma. Any advice, or statistics ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #196126 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Mandatory reconsideration?

Shelly wrote: I have been awarded the higher rate for mobility but nothing for daily living. This gives me more than I was getting but it also means I'll lose my 'non-dependent' reduction in my housing & council tax benefit, which I get for my daughter who lives here and helps with my care. From what I have read by applying for a mandatory reconsideration I risk losing what I have been awarded. This strikes me as punitive and ridiculous - I am in a dilemma. Any advice, or statistics ?

An MR allows the DWP to re-make the Decision being challenged in it's entirety. this means that as well as adding points they can remove them as well.

There are no statistics available and even if they were they would not translate to you individual claim, but at the moment we are seeing about one MR a month result in a reduced or removed award.

In addition to considering the points you could lose you also need to think about how realistic it is for you to receive a higher award. Requesting an MR with little chance of scoring the points needed for a higher award is probably not a good idea.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 8 months ago #196184 by Shelly
Replied by Shelly on topic PIP Mandatory reconsideration?
Thanks for your reply, we have decided not to go for an MR, partly because of the emotional and physiological impact of it. I have been receiving the daily living component of DLA for many years and feel that much of what I told them and have medical evidence to support has been ignored.
I did manage to record the interview on two cassette players - and have had a few donated from various universities. I would be happy to loan them out to anyone in the Bristol area who is in a similar position.

More
6 years 8 months ago #196196 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Mandatory reconsideration?
Sheely

You have the option of making a Late request for an MR up to 13 months after the date of the Decision, so if you change your mind, perhaps if your mental health improves, then you can still challenge the Decision.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.