× Members

PIP Decision

More
6 years 7 months ago #197046 by Ness46
PIP Decision was created by Ness46
Hi, I am new to the forum and I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

I send my completed PIP form on 26th May. I had a face to face PIP consultation on 10th August. I received a letter on 26 August stating the DWP had enough information to provide their decision. To date, I have not heard from them, so I called them this morning to be told that a letter was sent on 30th August ! I have always received letters from the DWP a week from the date of the letter. Has this happened to others? I received a copy of the report by the nurse that undertook the consultation, where there a numerous inaccuracies, over a week ago. I have been told I have not been awarded anything.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in April of this year, after 6 years of trying to find out was wrong with me. I have mobility issues and use a walking stick. I cannot walk very far at all any more and struggle with fatigue and cognitive issues. I cannot believe that a nurse has overridden the view of my Consultant Neurologist, who clearly has seen significant changes in my mobility.

I asked the DWP to resend the letter to me with today's date, but they would not do this. How long have I got to appeal the decision and what is the process. Without the letter, I have no idea what to do and I fear time is running out to dispute this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Ness

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #197082 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Decision
Ness

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Although you have previously received Decision Letters within a week they can take 10-14 days to arrive so it may be landing on your mat today or tomorrow.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process, the PIP area also has template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ness46

More
6 years 7 months ago #197169 by Ness46
Replied by Ness46 on topic PIP Decision
Hi Gordon
Thanks for your reply. You were right the decision letter came yesterday afternoon. I have started my letter to them to request a mandatory reconsideration. There are several things in the report that are incorrect - wrong diagnosis, wrong medication amounts, wrong reasons why I take the meds particularly for MS, totally omitting a conversation we had about being able to plan and make a journey, which I cannot do, completely ignoring my eyesight problems noted in my consultant neurologists diagnosis letter which I sent as evidence to name but a few. As the person has based their decision on this report, can I not correct these mistakes before I get to the ratings?

I have looked at your guides which are excellent and really helpful and I will use the example letters as a template. I would really appreciate your further guidance, if possible.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #197185 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP Decision
Hi Ness,

You need to concentrate your efforts on showing exactly how/why you should have scored points against the PIP descriptors. Don't waste time and effort in arguing against basic errors that don't really affect the points scored.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ness46

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.