× Members

ESA, DLA and change of address

More
6 years 7 months ago #197159 by cbrad
ESA, DLA and change of address was created by cbrad
I currently receive both income related and contribution based ESA support group, council tax benefit and dla.
Will a change of address affect my claims and will it prompt a reassessment of my ESA and prompt the start to pip from dla. I may be moving from an SY post code to a B98 postcode.

Also will a move mean I would have to claim UC, I currently get help with mortgage interest but when I move I will lose my income related ESA due to capital but I think I still keep my contribution based ESA?

If I do move do I have to inform each dwp department and council or will informing one let all the other departments know of my move.
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #197179 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA, DLA and change of address
cbrad

You can check whether the area you are moving to is a UC area by using the following

ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

If you intend to use the capital from your house sale to purchase a new property then the funds should be disregarded for at least 26 weeks.

Moving to a UC area should not require you to claim UC unless you need to make a new claim for a UC related benefit, Housing Benefit for example, however, there appear to be significant omissions from the DWP's training and apparently ESA(IR) claimants are often being told that they need to claim UC, this is not the case and if pressured to do so then you should get face to face advice from a trained advisor.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbrad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.