× Members

Learning disabled and prescription charges

More
6 years 7 months ago #197218 by E M
Hi,
My sister who is severely learning disabled (with high cholesterol which she's on medication for , a special cream for a skin condition, and severely partially sighted) and has never worked (or will) always received free NHS prescriptions.

Since having to move form DLA to ESA in March 17, she is now being charged for all her prescriptions and treatments. Can she appeal? She receives Basic standard rate , plus is in the Support Group. She also is on the enhanced rate for PIP but I guess this has no impact. Seems terribly unfair.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #197223 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Learning disabled and prescription charges
E M

She won't have been moved from DLA to ESA.

If she was eligible for free prescriptions on her old benefit then I would expect her to be now, especially if she is in the Support Group, are you sure that she is not receiving Income Related ESA at least in part.

If she is definitely not receiving ESA(IR) then she still may be eligible. ESA(IR) is dependant on your household income, your savings and assets, and any hours that your partner works. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

She may also qualify due to low income, see

www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

this also includes details of a Prescription Prepayment Certificate.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 7 months ago #197228 by E M
Thanks for this. Her ESA payment is based on her NI contribution. Is this because since Sept 2013 she has received a small portion of our late father's pension every 2 months? Is this regarded as income?

My mother has saved on her behalf (an account which has built up over the years sums from a portion of my sisters benefits) count against her receiving free prescriptions?

More
6 years 7 months ago #197229 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Learning disabled and prescription charges

E M wrote: Thanks for this. Her ESA payment is based on her NI contribution. Is this because since Sept 2013 she has received a small portion of our late father's pension every 2 months? Is this regarded as income?

My mother has saved on her behalf (an account which has built up over the years sums from a portion of my sisters benefits) count against her receiving free prescriptions?

The pension would certainly count against any ESA(IR) entitlement £ for £, the savings can also have an effect if they are in excess of £6000.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: E M

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.