× Members

Pension Credit Question

More
1 year 5 months ago #275197 by Capyboppy
Pension Credit Question was created by Capyboppy
My husband is 8 years older than me and has always received the married man’s allowance on any benefits for me plus disability premiums etc.
currently he is 72 and I am 64. I will reach pension age at age 66 just over a years time in January 2024. Will I have to go onto my own state pension? Will this be likely to affect our Pension Credit? Naturally I am concerned as there is help with it bring a means tested benefit. I’ve looked for information but can’t find any.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #275232 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Pension Credit Question
Hi Capyboppy

Thank you for your question, unfortunately it is outside the remit of the forum.

You are now classed as a mixed aged couple, fortunately your husband claimed PC before the changes came in and therefore you were not affected.

I cannot answer your question as it depends on your NI contributions and if anyone in the household is disabled and receives a qualifying benefit.

You do need to seek advice from a Welfare Rights Organisation who can take all your circumstances into consideration; you can find your local Welfare Rights Organisation to help you with advice by clicking on the link below and putting in your post code, it will then come up with a MAP with a list of agencies. advicelocal.uk

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Capyboppy

More
1 year 5 months ago #275291 by Capyboppy
Replied by Capyboppy on topic Pension Credit Question
Thank you Gary Yes, we are both disabled. Hubby gets the disabled premium, and I get standard care and ehanced mobility for PIP. Since my post I did a bit more research and it seems I will actually be worse off if I claim my State Pension. The 2 single State Pensions come just over the eligibility for Pension Credit, so if I claimed SP I would lose free dental treatment etc. As I am always having teeth problems this is quite significant. I would also have to pay towards rent and council tax. I have contacted Welfare Rights in the past when I had my battle to claim the old DLA (3 times of being turned down and horrendous degrading experience before eventually someone saw sense!); They were absolutely terrible with me and said I didn't have a 'cat's in hell chance' of DLA. They wouldn't even give me an appointment and this was done over the phone. So they would be the last people I would contact. I believe I can defer my SP but I would not be able to claim the higher rate when I do/if I do decide to claim. I am fine with that as I stand to lose more claiming SP. I will look into it to confirm all this of course.

Thank you for replying Gary; I do apprecate it very much.

More
1 year 5 months ago #275319 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Pension Credit Question
Hi Capyboppy

You need to check your benefit entitlements, if you are both disabled and you both get PIP daily living component then as a couple you would get a SDP of £138.80 added to couple rates for GPC of £278.70 giving a total of £417.50 pw therefore if your combined income will be less than £417.50 per you would be entitled to claim GPC which is a qualifying benefit for free prescriptions.

You do need to see a Welfare Rights Organisation who will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration, see my link above.

You can check your own benefit entitlement to give you an idea of your entitlement; gov.uk/benefits-calculators

You may be surprised , I have recently assisted a few elderly claimants apply for GPC as they believed they were not entitled to claim but they had not taken into account they they had a qualifying benefit to enable them to claim SDP, in the case of a couple if both are in receipt of a qualifying benefit then you are entitled to claim 2 x SDP = £138.80 pw.

Gary

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, SUE C C

More
1 year 5 months ago #275340 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pension Credit Question
Capyboppy

Just to add to the excellent advice already given.

Deferring your State Pension will not be of assistance in this situation, the DWP will apply Notional Income from when you become eligible to claim the pension, which will reduce the Pension Credit that you are entitled to.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, SUE C C

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #288704 by Capyboppy
Replied by Capyboppy on topic Pension Credit Question
Apologies Gordon for it being so long in my appreciation and reply to you. I did appreciate your reply very much.

I am now in receipt of State Pension but we currently have a 'waiting' issue to which I will post separately about.

Thank you so much again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.