× Members

dla to pip update

More
1 year 2 months ago #276804 by francis
Replied by francis on topic dla to pip update
Dear Gary the moderator, with reference to 275486 of 2 months & 1 week ago. I am 66 & will be 67 (Retired) this May, I am receiving DLA high rate mobility & low rate care, an indefinite award. Having read the post 275486 it states in line: 1 "It was paused in March 2020 due to the coronavirus & it has been confirmed that this will not restart until 2028" I have not had any contact from the DWP whatsoever, concerning transfer from DLA to PIP. I am happy to to leave this as is, mainly to avoid the hassle. My question is, are the above details' concerning the transfer from DLA to PIP still correct or...? & therefore do i wait until DWP contact me. My apologies, for the length of content, many thanks, Francis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #276820 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic dla to pip update
Hi francis

I am not aware of any changes in the time frame, BIS has earlier today stated the same information as myself.

Unless your condition has deteriorated and you believe that you may be eligible for middle/high rate care then you may want to leave things for now. Have a look at our guides; benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

PIP is substantially different from DLA and the criteria are stricter. PIP was engineered to be more difficult to award than DLA and many DLA claimants will receive reduced awards or even no award at all on transfer.

DLA looks at generic care needs in regard to bodily functions, PIP looks at the claimant's specific ability to carry out an activity such as eating. DLA was awarded because the claimant needed an amount of care (in time) during the day, the night of both, to help them with that bodily function. PIP looks at the claimant's ability to complete specific tasks within the activity and is points-based, these are clearly defined and it is easy not to score points because the claimant has not shown that they meet those specific criteria.

DLA treated the use of aids as a reason to reduce the amount of care needed, PIP treats aids as an indication of disability and in general they score extra points.

DLA's care need was reasonably generic, PIP treats prompting, assistance and supervision as different activities and as a result, they can score different points.

DLA required that the care was required for the majority of the time, for PIP it is the majority of days.

For PIP activities must be completed reliably, this means

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

Although DLA considers these terms, they are poorly defined as they are implemented through Case Law rather than being defined in the legislation as they are for PIP.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #281419 by Southernbelle
Replied by Southernbelle on topic dla to pip update
Is it still the case that DLA to PIP reviews have been put on hold till April 2028?
I will be 70 then, will I see be assessed using the PIP criteria and if I am eligible will I still get motability as I’ll be over 65. Or will I be put on attendance allowance
Does anyone know if motability will still be giving anyone who loses their DLA motability the 2k payment in 2028 if they lose it?
I have asked for a reassessment although I know my health has declined and I should meet criteria for both now but have left it as I need my car and I’m reluctant to do a reassessment just incase. But I’ve heard it’s now 2028. And I’m worried if I leave it I won’t get full pip as they will consider my age is causing the issues not poor health

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #281438 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic dla to pip update
Southernbelle

There is some confusion over DLA to PIP transfers. There have been a number of press articles stating that the transfer has been delayed until 2028, however, B&W has been unable to find any statement by the DWP or the Government that confirms this, we also have members who are being transferred.

You can still be awarded the Mobility component on transfer, the Regulation that prevents an award for Mobility for a claimant over State Retirement Age is suspended by the DLA to PIP transfer legislation.

You will have to check with Motabilty about any compensation they might be offering if a claimant loses their car on transfer.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick4545, Claire

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #282964 by GorillaWheels
Replied by GorillaWheels on topic dla to pip update
Hello Gordon
After reading this thread recently I had a look online about the pause till April 2028.
Welfare Benefit Unit a charity in Yorkshire had said in their Winter 2022 ‘Benefit Bulletin’ that DLA to PIP is paused until April 2028 and this was from a summary of the autumn statement 2022. I could not see this mentioned in the statement document so I emailed them about where they got that info from, as I could not see it? I received this reply after they looked into my query.

“In relation to the Autumn Budget statement 2022 there were published a number of supporting documents.

These documents can be found here:
www.gov.uk/government/publications/autum...ement-2022-documents

Amongst these documents there's one relating to "Policy Costings"

Here's the link:
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/governm...Policy_Costings_.pdf

The relevant page is page 55 of the document, and page page 59 of the pdf.

If you require any further information in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Yours sincerely
Andrew Davies
WBU Advice Team
Welfare Benefits Unit”

I also found this on the Office for Budget Responsibility website.
“Key changes to disability benefits spending since 2010 have included:
* the introduction of PIP in 2013, replacing DLA for working-age claimants with different eligibility criteria;
* devolution of disability benefits to Scotland in April 2020, alongside a number of other smaller benefits, accounting for around £3 billion in spending; and
* delay to full PIP rollout in November 2022, which paused the managed migration of legacy DLA claimants to PIP until April 2028, saving £0.8 billion over five years.”

obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/tax-by-tax-spe...disability-benefits/

Hope this might help provide some info about the topic.

Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick4545

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #282983 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic dla to pip update
G

Thank you for the links.

I think the key phrase is "full rollout", this doesn't exclude a partial one, which I think is what we are seeing.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaWheels

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.