× Members

Claiming ESA for the 1st time......help....

More
3 months 1 week ago #286656 by Arthritic Annie
Claiming ESA for the 1st time......help.... was created by Arthritic Annie
Hi,
Hoping you can advise, I've read the guides but can't see what I'm looking for:

I've been off work sick and have now used all of my SSP entitlement. So have been advised to claim ESA. I am still employed at present, I'm just too ill to work due to my arthritis.

My questions are as below:

I understood everyone could claim contribution based ESA for up to 52 weeks as long as you were 2 sick to work and had GP cert? I thought the health assessment was just to determine which group to place you in- work group or support group? I did not realise there would be a possibility I might get nothing at all? If I was placed in the support group dies this also stop at 52weeks or does it continue after this point?

I applied for PIP for the first time 4 years ago, the current award is due to run out later this year and I just received my review form before Christmas. Do you think applying for ESA triggered this or was it coming anyway? I really hope I've filled this form correctly as most of my answers were over the little boxes they provide on the AR1.... I really hope so as id like my current award to stay the same and unfortunately I'm much worse now than then as now off work whereas then I was still able to work.

Any back to ESA form, I did go to a community advice place and although the person I was dealing with was very nice they didn't seem very up on things and as I've never done this before.....

I can't walk more than 10-15m without having to stop due to pain. So I don't tick any of the boxes and explain this in my answer. I also have trouble standing and sitting for any length of time due to pain. Are these descriptors enough to place me in the support group?
I've taken the test, my understanding of this is basically I could be place in either group?
The other random questions such as picking up 1.00 coins.... most days I'd have difficulty doing this especially in the mornings when I'm still. Stairs no, reaching no.... but could probably put something in a jacket pocket....

Also if placed in work related group do I have to look for work when still employed?

Last question- when I started the claim back in October dwp messed up my paper work, they filed the stuff I sent them under another NI number snd said they never got it... 4 phone calls later and a new claim later I got my money. When they closed my inital claim they sent me a P45- what was thus for when I'm still employed?

I think I'm going mad here....πŸ™ˆ

I can't get my phone to scroll back the way so really hope this makes sense.

Apologies if these questions are repeated elsewhere- I did search the forum but couldn't see anything similar

Many thanks😊

Many thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #286671 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Claiming ESA for the 1st time......help....
AA

New Style ESA awards are based on you meeting specific criteria, explain in our ESA/UC Claim guide (see the Guides link at the top of the page), there are three possible results;

You do not score sufficient points or meet any of the Exceptional Circumstances Regulations for an award. You are returned to the All Work group.

You score sufficient points, 15 or more, to be placed in the Limited Capability for Work Group or one of the LCW Exceptions. You will not be expected to seek work or return to your existing job but may be asked to participate in Work Related Activity. Such an award lasts for 365 days from the date that you made your claim for NS ESA.

You meet one or more of the Limited Capability for Work Related Activity descriptors or one of the LCWRA Exceptions and are placed in the LCWRA group. There is no time limit for this group and you will continue to receive payments as long as you continue to meet the criteria for this award. Members of the LCWRA group will not be asked to seek work or to perform WRA.

The questions you mention are related to the ESA criteria that I mentioned above, several of your answers, if accepted, would qualify you for the LCWRA group.

The P45 was issued as standard because NS ESA is a taxable benefit, it is not related to your current employment. If no money was paid on the claim you should be able to just add it to your own Tax records.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arthritic Annie

More
2 months 1 week ago #288068 by Arthritic Annie
Replied by Arthritic Annie on topic Claiming ESA for the 1st time......help....
Hi,

I have a few questions on the below, if you can possibly help;

As per my other post I received a letter from dwp to say I didn't need to send any other fit notes as I've passed my work capability assessment. As advised I rang dwp and they said I have been awarded the support group. I'm waiting for a copy of the assessment to arrive to see exactly what I scored. This is my first time applying for Esa as up until now I've been able to work.

My pip is also up for renewal, this was 1st awarded in 2021, this award was for enhanced daily living and mobility and ends in Sept 24. I had gathered my evidence for this - doctors notes, consultants letters etc for the pip renewal and I also sent all the same evidence with the esa form. I completed both form together and it was basically the same answers I have on each form.

Since my award for pip my arthritis is much worse and I'm nolonger able to work. I'm also on increased medication for pain management and I'm also on a waiting list for biologic injections. I also suffer from anxiety and depression. Again all of this info was on both forms.

The esa form was returned for 21st Jan and I received my letter on the 8th February.
My pip form was returned about a week b4 and so far all I've received is a text to say they've got it.

I know the wait time for pip can be ridiculous and I'm already going out of my mind with worry.

I wondering with your experience if you could possibly look at your crystal ball..... if I was awarded esa support group a paper assessment what would be the chance I might get my pip award again at the same level and perhaps with a paper assessment aswell? ( my first assessment was on the phone)
I'm watching for the postman everyday and it's honestly sending me nuts...πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

Hope this makes sense as I've litterly just poured all on my thoughts into this post....πŸ™ˆ

Thank you.

More
2 months 1 week ago #288078 by Gordon
AA

If you did it would likely be due to chance rather than design. The two assessment systems are completely separate, whilst there are areas of overlap they are limited and there are very few close matches between the two sets of criteria.

There is a document in the PIP area that shows where they correspond and more importantly where they do not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 6 days ago #288109 by Arthritic Annie
Replied by Arthritic Annie on topic Claiming ESA for the 1st time......help....
Thank you for the reply Gordon.

Yes, I did look at the available manuals and which questions have a close overlap and those which the overlap is questionable at best. Definitely well worth a read.

I suppose I'm just hoping since I qualified for enhanced pip before I should hopefully do so again as my health has since deteriorated.

I wonder do people often get the same award issued again either on a paper assessment or physical assessment? πŸ€”

Also how common are paper assessments for pip reviews?

Many thanks for all your help. 😊

More
2 months 6 days ago #288116 by Gordon
A

Yes, lots of people get the same award on review.

Paper reviews are still relatively uncommon but do happen.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.