× Members

DLA to PIP at retirement age

More
3 months 1 week ago #286757 by angelab
DLA to PIP at retirement age was created by angelab
How do I get my DLA swapped to PIP? I have been on DLA low rate mobility for 15+ years due to ME/CFS. I reach state retirement age in March . I know that my DLA will stop then.

What’s the latest before my birthday that I can apply to be assessed for swapping to PIP? Ideally, I’d like to apply when I have some spare time to complete the forms and gather medical evidence.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 1 week ago #286804 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP at retirement age
a

You can always report a Change of Circumstances for your DLA which will automatically initiate a transfer to PIP but I think you should be aware of the following;

Your DLA will not end when you reach SRA it will continue in payment until the DWP move your claim to PIP as part of the migration.

Your Lower Rate Mobility has no equivalent in PIP, the criteria is different. That does not mean that you would not qualify but you should review the PIP activities before reporting a Change, our PIP Claim guide explains what criteria you would need to meet. follow the links on the Guides link at the top of the page.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 months 1 week ago #286820 by angelab
Replied by angelab on topic DLA to PIP at retirement age
Thank you. Good to know that my DLA wont stop at SRA. Do you have any idea when I might be migrated to PIP? My annual DLA benefit rates letter has been telling me about it for years.

In addition to having ME/CFS, have developed a vertigo problem since having covid in May 2022. This is adversely affecting my mobility and other functioning. I’ve been told it’s due to irreversible inner ear damage from covid, and am awaiting vestibular rehabilitation to help manage and improve my vertigo (diagnosed as Persistent Postural Perceptual Dizziness) It will apparently take several months to make any difference. If it doesn’t improve, I think I would probably qualify for lower rate mobility and possibly moderate level care . But by the time I know, I will already have reached SRA. What would I do about DLA / PIP then?

Correction to original post- it’s lower rate care that I get, not lower rate mobility. Used to be on moderate rate care and lower rate mobility but was reduced after a reassessment years ago.

More
3 months 1 week ago #286869 by Gordon
a

I'm afraid we have no idea of the timescales for the migration it is supposed to have been stopped until 2028 but we are still seeing members going through the process.

If you are migrated to PIP by the DWP then you can still receive a full Mobility award as the Transfer legislation suspends the age restriction for that component.

If you are moved before SRA then you cannot receive a Mobility award after SRA if you do not already have one and if you have a Standard award it cannot be increased to Enhanced.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 months 3 days ago #287018 by angelab
Replied by angelab on topic DLA to PIP at retirement age
Thank you Gordon
If I’ve understood correctly, if I decide to report a change of circumstances before SRA, I risk losing my DLA lower rate care, if I don’t meet PIP criteria. (I don’t actually get a mobility element at the moment)

If I report a change of circumstances after reaching SRA, do I face the same risk?

When I’m eventually migrated to PIP, will I also face the risk of losing the lower rate care I’m currently receiving?

Thanks

More
3 months 3 days ago #287023 by Gordon
a

There is no equivalent to DLA LRC in PIP so whenever you are moved you are going to have to show that you meet additional criteria to receive a Daily Living award.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.