× Members

DLA to PIP at retirement age

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #287243 by angelab
Replied by angelab on topic DLA to PIP at retirement age
Thanks Gordon

Just remembered that my sister was made to be reassessed for PIP from DLA when she reached retirement age, 4 years ago. Might this happen to me? Or is it more likely to happen when transition across restarts in 2028?

If I need to claim for worsening health, will I always be claiming PIP rather than Attendance Allowance? What is the difference in the eligibility criteria? Or are they basically the same thing, apart from pre and post SRA?

I am also receiving ESA support group contribution based. Assume this will stop as soon as I reach SRA?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #287246 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic DLA to PIP at retirement age
Hi angelab

I will try and answer your questions

Q1) At present transition from DLA to PIP has been suspended for the time being.

Q2) Providing you qualify for PIP then yes, even after you reach state pension age you will continue to receive PIP/DLA,

Q3) AA is the same as claiming DLA, with no mobility component.

Q4) DLA is not the same as claiming PIP, the criteria is different. We have heard from many claimants who have lost their claim when they applied for PIP.

One of the first things is to understand the difference between DLA and PIP.

DLA looks at generic care needs in regard to bodily functions, PIP looks at the claimants specific ability to carry out an activity such as eating. DLA was awarded because the claimant needed an amount of care (in time) during the day, the night or both, to help them with that bodily function.

PIP looks at the claimant's ability to complete specific tasks within the activity and is points-based, these are clearly defined and it is easy not to score points because the claimant has not shown that they meet those specific criteria.

DLA treated the use of aids as a reason to reduce the amount of care needed, PIP treats aids as an indication of disability and in general they score extra points.

DLA's care need was reasonably generic, PIP treats prompting, assistance and supervision as different activities and as a result, they can score different points.

DLA required that the care was required for the majority of the time, for PIP it is the majority of days.

For PIP activities must be completed reliably, this means

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

Although DLA considers these terms, they are poorly defined as they are implemented through Case Law rather than being defined in the legislation as they are for PIP.

Q5) Yes your ESA will stop when you reach SRA, depending on your circumstances, you may be able to claim GPC; www.gov.uk/pension-credit. Don't forget to apply for your state pension, you can apply 3 months before your retirement age.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287737 by angelab
Replied by angelab on topic DLA to PIP at retirement age
Thanks Gary for your comprehensive reply. Think I’ll do nothing for now

My health is currently definitely worse due than when I was awarded my lower rest care DLA, due to a new post covid dizziness condition. I’ve just started treatment for this, so will see how much that improves things for me. If it restores my health back to what it was before I developed it, I won’t consider applying for a reassessment as it seems a gamble going from DLA to PIP. If it doesn’t help, I might take that chance.

And since I reach SRA in 5 weeks time, I’ll soon see if this automatically triggers a migration to PIP, as it did for my sister.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.