× Members

PIP - IAS (Independent Assessment Services) methods of obtaining evidence

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287320 by livingproof
I am assisting my daughter with her PIP which after review was reduced. An IAS HP called me out of the blue last year, I was expecting another call so it caught me unawares. The person said they were from IAS and just wanted to ask, “Just a few questions” regarding my daughter’s claim. I am autistic and took this literally. It became an hour long interrogation, and afterwards, I felt dreadful. I found out later that they had already called her psychiatrist the day before and spoken to the receptionist.

I was very unhappy about both - firstly, if I had been asked if I wanted accommodations due to my disability, I would have asked for them, such as a scheduled time, to have my notes with me, and to record the call, and know how long it might take. Secondly, I do not believe that talking to a receptionist about my daughter’s records is acceptable as ‘medical evidence’, and yet this is how it is portrayed in the report.

I have spoken to the DWP on the phone twice regarding the mobility change, and both the manager and Decision Maker I spoke to cannot explain even the logic of the words used by the DM to reduce the award.

I have now sent complaints to both IAS and DWP. IAS have responded completely inadequately, and not addressed any of the points I raised. I am about to visit my MP to follow this up.

Is information provided by a receptionist acceptable to be used in a report, and can it be classed as ‘medical evidence’? I don’t think so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 days ago #288189 by housemouse93
Hi,
I’m sorry you’ve been treated like this. I even wonder if a receptionist is breaching Data protection by providing answers by phone to someone when they can’t verify who they are. I’m sure the Mods will keep you right about this. Good luck and don’t let them get you down.

More
2 months 4 days ago #288193 by BIS
Hi livingproof

I'm sorry that it has become such a stressful situation for you and your daughter.

It is difficult to comment on what the receptionist may have said to the person they spoke to, especially when you weren't party to the conversation and, therefore, don't know exactly what was asked. I don't know whether your daughter gave the DWP the right to contact your doctor - some people don't, but several people have reported that instruction is being ignored. Every GP service has a data protection policy - which says who information is shared with. As upset as you are - there are two different issues - 1) the receptionist sharing information 2) Whether the information shared is correct. It is the second issue that matters most at the moment - because it is that which can have a direct impact on your daughter's award.

I hope your MP does pick up your fight and help out. It's quite ridiculous that two people were unable to explain the reasoning behind the lower award, and you should include that when you put in for a Mandatory Reconsideration. The one thing they should be able to do is justify the change.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.