× Members

Pip tribunal and dwp telephone call.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287372 by Filey
Hi all. I am just after some views, opinions etc. I am currently waiting for a tribunal date on behalf of my adult Son who has autism. This is the second appeal I have done for him and we won the first appeal back in 2017. Today I received a phone call out of the blue from dwp , a case manager, querying my appointeeship as I am my Sons appointee and have been for many years. She asked abot my Sons wages being put into his account and about my Son paying his own rent. I told her that this is done by direct debit that I set up for him. And she said so your Son has his wages into his own bank account and pays his own rent. Again, I told her that the rent is automatic by direct debit. And she said that I've been his appointee for over 10 years and that my Son is 29 years old now and may be able to manage his own affairs and pip management etc. She then said that a visiting officer will be visiting myself and my Son to establish if he can infact manage his own affairs snd that they want to speak to him about the details of his claim and to explain the process etc and to see if he needs an appointee now that he is older and so that they can tell the tribunal this if he can manage his affairs. This phone call made me feel sick instantly as I thought that this does not sound good at all. This whole process is absolutely horrendous as I'm sure many others on here will agree! Any views or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Needless to say, myself and my Son are now worried about this visit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Anji

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287388 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Pip tribunal and dwp telephone call.
Hi Filey,

I've approved your message, and hopefully some other claimants/mods will get back to you to share any similar experiences of this. To me, it sounds like awful scaremongering tactics, in the hope that they won't have to pay out.
All you can do is be as honest as you have been on here. It's not your fault that direct debits are a simple to set up procedure that's available, and it's obviously the best option to take, as it's the most convenient, and millions of others pay this way - if you get my drift by this :)

I think there's also different levels of autism too. I myself am awaiting a possible diagnosis of this, and I worked in Finance for over 15 years in the past, where as I also know someone who is autistic, but couldn't work out say 33p change from a 67p spend using a pound coin, and would rely simply on the cashier giving them the correct amount, based on trust.

Hope this information helps,

Chris :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Anji

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287395 by Filey
Replied by Filey on topic Pip tribunal and dwp telephone call.
Thanks Chris. Yes, thats been helpful and helped to calm me down a little. It's terrible the affect all this has on people. And yes I get your drift. :) My son is the same with shops and relying on the cashier etc. He transfers his wages to me and I save it for him until he needs it as he is not good with cash at all. I knew straight away that the phone call was not good. I hope they don't start asking other questions like a face to face assessment as that does not seem fair at all. They are trying to remove me as appointee I think but I will fight this every step of the way , like I have the whole of his life. I hope you get your diagnosis sorted and that everything falls into place for you and thank you for replying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Chris

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287398 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Pip tribunal and dwp telephone call.
Hi Filey,

I totally understand where you're coming from. Just remember that when these people come - it's a case of them having to prove you're guilty rather than you defending your sons innocence. I know that sounds a horrible thing to say like it's an accusation, but it's far from it. It's me saying that you don't have to prove that you're telling the truth - they have to dis-prove it, and that's a much harder thing to do.

An absolute pleasure replying. :)

I hate it when people are bullied just because they've an illness, disability, mental health issue, etc etc - It's a horrible world we live in at times when were immediately thought of as liars, and having prove otherwise.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287405 by Filey
Replied by Filey on topic Pip tribunal and dwp telephone call.
Thank you and yes I know exactly what you mean in regards to the first paragraph. It's just the worry it causes isn't it! She was very stern sounding when she said your Son works and has his wages in his own account and pays the rent out of his own account is that correct. It was just the way she said it , I felt it in my gut. And I thought here we go again. And then she said its to establish if he actually needs an appointee. But how can it be right that dwp can decide if he needs an appointee , even though I told her and will be saying again to the home visit that he needs an appointee and my Son will also be telling them the same. How do they get to decide that he doesn't need an appointee, surely this can't be right. I will be asking them this too and depending on the outcome of the visit, I will also be saying this at the tribunal. How do they get to decide my appointee-ship to my Son. Her exact words were we are reviewing appointee-ship as this has not been reviewed for over 10 years. I don't get it but I do have a nasty feeling in my gut! Dwp were suppose to respond to the appeal a couple of weeks ago and she said she can tell the tribunal its late replying because of the home visit or something along those lines she said. She specifically said his wages goes into his own account and he pays his rent out of his own account and his Pip went into your account and u said yes but I then went onto explain things. Its troubled and puzzled me about them questioning my appointeeship and it has especially troubled me that they can get to decide the out come of me being his appointee and it has upset my Son as he relies soley on me to handle his pip affairs and forms and appeals and reviews etc. Thanks again Chris. Think I've finished now, phew!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287407 by KABTT
Replied by KABTT on topic Pip tribunal and dwp telephone call.
Found your post cos i'm expecting a tribunal and dreading DWP calls. I find it hard to speak, I'm a lot more confused than I used to be so it's easier for them to befuddle us, it's a huge strain.

Good luck, maybe get someone to sit in with the interview at home? Someone who knows about autism? Or a family member or friend who has seen your son grow? Having support could help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Filey

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.