× Members

Heart attack advice

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287478 by Souter
Heart attack advice was created by Souter
My brother had a heart attack 3 months ago. He is on blood thinners and Atorvastatin.
Last week he went back to his Gp as he has been complaining about lower pain below waist. Bloods taken and showed liver was spiked. The next day he hit an ultrasound and the results are indicating this Atorvastatin could have caused the spike. He has lost weight despite eating.
I’m sort it’s a long read but at the moment he receives enhanced rate of care component.
I am my brothers appointee and was wanting to ask if he should apply for the mobility care.
I am really worried about hud weight loss and he is struggling to walk to the bus stop. I do my best to get food , do his washing. He has twin boys age 16 and his wife dies several years ago.
I’m writing to you for a bit of reassurance , my brother is worried they may take his care component off him. He is due a renewal date December 2024.
Kind regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #287495 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Heart attack advice
Hi Souter

You could apply for a change of circumstances in your brother's condition and it will trigger a review. You can tell them you are happy with the care and are only looking to add the mobility component to his award. Be aware that they are able to review anything they like at any time, so it is possible that they will review the care anyway.

A potential issue I see in what you say is that for a condition to be considered for PIP, the claimant has to have had it for a minimum of 3 months before they inform the DWP and a certainty that it will continue for the following 9 months. Clearly, your brother had his heart attack in that time frame - but the DWP may argue that he will have recovered before the 9 months. Now you know his medical history - so if he now has a long-term problem or, indeed, the heart attack was caused by previous problems that had not been diagnosed up til that point - you emphasise that. You obviously will mention the weight loss, which suggests something else is going on - even though the cause has yet to be discovered. All I'm trying to say is make sure that you don't make it sound as if it is a one-off short-term 'incident' that is now sorted with medication.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Souter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.