× Members

I cannot believe my son has not been awarded ANYTHING!!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #288115 by BIS
Hi Anji

Even if you are not an official appointee - when you ring - you say that your son wants you to speak on his behalf. They should then ask to speak to your son, and once he confirms that he gives permission, you can do all the talking. This happens frequently, and I don't know why someone just didn't tell you that. (Obviously, you have to be together to be able to do this)

You will not be appointed and official appointee over the phone. There is paperwork to be filled out and it has then to be agreed.

In terms of what you do now, ensure you get the MR off = even if you don't have the assessor's report. You say that the report has not arrived, and as soon as it does, you will be adding any further information. You also say that you will be sending additional information as soon as it arrives. It is better to do that rather than assuming they will give you extra time.

Good luck

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #288121 by Gordon
A

I think BIS may have misled you about the timescales for requesting an MR, these are defined in law and the DWP has no discretion to change them.

You have one month from the date of the Decision Letter to make a normal request for an MR, if you are unable to meet this deadline then you can make a Late request including reasons why the request was not made within the normal period. Your not receiving information within a reasonable timescale should be accepted as Good Cause for any delay.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anji

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #288140 by Anji
Thanks Gordon

Not sure if my reply to BIS was uploaded as I can't see it. We did eventually (after 2 hours on the phone) get through to someone really nice and helpful yesterday. The first person my son spoke to - I do not live with him so was supporting by text! - was awful and unhelpful. Then he requested the appointee thing and he was put through to another person who was extremely helpful. She rang me after talking to him and registered the MR and said we had 30 days from yesterday to send in all the evidence, so that takes us to 20th March, which should be ample time. I'm going to confirm the conversation in writing today and will also state in the form who we spoke to and what was said.
Thanks for your help 😀
Anji
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #288142 by Filey
Hi, yes, tell your Son to say to Dwp he wants you as appointee and him to tell Dwp he wants you to speak on his behalf. I hope all goes well for you and hang on in there, its a long fight but it will be worth it in the long run. I understand your upset as I was too and its not nice at all, the upheaval this all causes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Anji

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #288155 by Wendy Woo
Glad you finally managed to speak to someone helpful and can begin to start sorting all this out. There is a whole thread somewhere on here about appointees - if you look for posts from LL26 you should be able to find it, I think. There are several of us who are in a similar position and we wish you all the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Milish, Filey, Anji

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #288180 by Anji
Thanks so much, this feels like a hard slog!! Still no sight of the assessor's report but the decision letter has several inaccuracies, untruths, and sweeping statements so I am sure it won't be a good read.
One of the reasons in the letter for not giving him any points at all was that he lives independently! But I cannot see that spending much of your time alone living in one room, which you hardly ever clean, in clothes that are unwashed and bedding that is unwashed, eating reheated chicken nuggets and not interacting with people either within the household or externally is not the same as living independently to an acceptable standard. He does go to an art-based support group a few times a week (which is unfortunately closing soon) with other neurodiverse people, but that is about as much interaction as he gets. 😞
Thanks for everyone's support, I am really determined and it is sooooo helpful to know other people have been through the same thing.
Anji

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.