× Members

Started PIP form. Am I on the right track?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287583 by zak
Hi

(Sorry if this appears twice, I just submitted and it didn't appear in 'my topics' so trying again)

Im currently doing my pip form. I've scanned the pip guide and have started writing it with my social worker. It's written from his POV as he writes it, then asks me for info. We understand about 'reliabilty i.e time, good standard, safety, reliability so have tried to get those in.

How is this for an opening statement and the first question?

Please note re. the Hernia, I might be able to have an operation privately in March so that will become irrelevant to PIP say around end of April when I recover from that. For the time being on the form Im leaving it with the NHS timeline of a year.

I have a letter from the doctor confirming my treatments of CBT, Bereavement counselling and Antidepressants, letters from 2 local counsellors, a letter from my social worker helping me with this form as regards my abilities, and potentially (waiting on this) a letter from the Mental Health Crisis Team of how the depression affected me

OPENING STATEMENT
Condition 1: Clinical Depression - since 15 September 2023 when Xxxxxs’ Mum suddenly passed away. After a period of bereavement of a couple of months it became clear that Xxxxx had become clinically depressed and hence was in touch with the local Mental Health Crisis Team to help him get through. This was only for a short period though of a month, and now has little help to get him through, hence the application for PIP to help him get longer term support.

He has all the symptoms of clinical depression i.e strong feelings of low self worth, inability to focus, and very low motivation. He doesn’t know when he will come out of this.

He often has feelings of not wanting to be here, has little physical or mental energy and can really only do tasks that take less than 15 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day. He feels a shadow of his former self where he could do 10x this.

Condition 2: Hernia: since 24 December 2023 (An asymptomatic hernia became symptomatic after a stomach inflammation) Xxxxx now struggles with mobility, cannot walk reliably more than 50m – until his operation which has been requested with the NHS but there is no date yet set. It could be for up to a year. This has further impacted Xxxxx’s depression.

Q 3: How your health condition affects your day to day life

Q3a
Yes

Q3b Preparing Food

CONDITION 1: DEPRESSION

What the difficulty is
Xxxxx has difficulty getting the motivation and the physical energy to make meals

How often – good and bad days
This occurs more than half the time.

Why you have it – how it relates to your condition
His depression mentally makes him feel like it’s really not worth the bother of preparing food, and also low physical energy adds to this.

He never has breakfast, more than half the time he will eat just toast and hummus, or toast and an avocado. At the weekend he tries to make his favourite meal salmon in the evening though says this takes three times longer than usual, is to a very poor standard and one time left the gas burner on the pan.

Any aids or adaptations you use or help you get from another person
None

Any help you feel you need but do not get
Xxxxx would like a social worker or some kind of advocate that would call him to prompt him to eat a proper meal, or even someone that could come and assist him occasionally

CONDITION 2: HERNIA
Getting to the shop itself to obtain the food is difficult as his hernia means more than half the time he gets pain and has to abandon the shop half way around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287597 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Started PIP form. Am I on the right track?
z

Sorry, but I think you should have another look at the guide.

You don't address the issue of preparing and cooking a simple meal, your example of breakfast will not be considered.

The phrase "not worth the bother" completely undermines any reasons why you might score points, it suggests that you do not prepare and cook meals as opposed to being unable to do so.

Sourcing the food is not part of the activity and will not be considered.

You do not explain why prompting, assistance, supervision or aids cannot help you complete the task.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287642 by zak
Ok thanks. I can see we (both me and social worker) are way off on the understanding of how to answer pip questions. Its hard when you struggle to focus 😔 Tbh Im not sure is even possible for me. Feel veey downhearted bout it now but will consider what youve said and rewrite.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287649 by Gordon
z

There is a simple formula to follow for each question.

1 What condition causes you problems?
2 What are the problems you have?
3 Do you use aids and appliances?
4 Should you have help from another person?
5 Is there a particular time of the day when you have problems?
6 Do your abilities vary

But you must understand what is being assessed and what is not before you answer. The Descriptors and relevant definitions for each activity are explained in our PIP Claim guide plus there are worked examples to show you what to aim for.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287658 by zak
Ok, thanks - I learn by doing and amending, not by reading so think the best way for me to understand is to redo it until it's right. I've reread the guide but its hard for me to take in.

How's this?

Q3

Q3A
Yes

What the difficulty is?
Zak's depression means he has difficulty obtaining both the mental motivation and the physical energy to make meals

Why you have it – how it relates to your condition
Because of his depression, and the overwhelming lack of motivation and tiredness this causes - this results in the fact that more than 50% of the time, he is unable to make a simple meal. To someone who is depressed simple is not simple. There are many elements to it e.g. Chopping vegetables and fish/meat, being able to focus so the cooking can be done safely, choosing the ingredients, checking sell by dates, opening tins, timing it all, stirring and pouring etc. This, for Masten is overwhelming and cannot be executed. He will often then (more than 50% of the time) not eat at all or just have something on toast. Masten has lost 2 stone in weight since his depression started. From 13 stone to 11 stone.

When he is able to make a meal when his motivation rises a bit (approximately 2 days per week) it takes three times longer than usual, is to a very poor standard and one time left the gas burner on the pan, hence doesnt feel safe doing it.

Masten's motivation is worse in the morning and gets better through the day.

Aid and appliances cannot help with motivation caused by his depression

Any help you feel you need but do not get
Zak would like a social worker or some kind of advocate that would call him to prompt him to prepare proper meals, or even someone that could come and assist him.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287682 by Gordon
z

First, a general comment. We want our members to be successful but it's not the role of the Mods to help claimants hone their answers to perfection, we are here to try and explain the system and the criteria that you are being assessed against. It's down to you to explain how the limitations you have as a result of your conditions meet these criteria.

As to your answer. Yes, it is better but it shows that you still do not understand the criteria that you are being assessed against.

You are in effect assessing yourself as being unable to cook a piece of toast on the majority of days, my interpretation of the criteria but a reasonable analogy. Do I think you have shown this based on your answer, no!

This is what you are being assessed against.

1a. Can prepare and cook a simple meal unaided.
1b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal.
1c. Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but is able to do so using a microwave.
1d. Needs prompting to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal.
1e. Needs supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal.
1f. Cannot prepare and cook food.

All of the 12 PIP activities are as detailed as this.

The best place to understand these activities is by using our PIP Claim guide. I'm afraid your approach of "I learn by doing and amending, not by reading" is going to result in your claim failing.

Please come back to the forum if you need help understanding the Descriptors, we'll do our best to help you.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.