× Members

Universal Credit - Private Pension Lump Sum

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287612 by pacaho
Hi all

This might be an unusual question, so apologies in advance if so.

I am presently on long-term sick leave and in receipt of UC. I am now in the latter stages of being medically retired on the grounds of severe ill health. When my private pension kicks in it will include a lump sum. This lump sum will go towards paying off my outstanding mortgage and other debts that I have incurred whilst being on sick leave and in receipt of nil pay.

After the debt of my mortgage, the vast majority of the other financial debts are to my family. The process of my medical retirement has taken some considerable time, and in approximately half that time I have been on nil pay. The outcome is that most of these financial debts to family members are quite substantial amounts.

My question therefore is the following: Will I need to provide the DWP with a paper trail (in the form of individual receipts) proving where the majority of my lump sum has gone?

Many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Kindest regards

Pacaho

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287624 by Gary
Hi pacaho

Your question is not unusual but unfortunately we cannot give you an answer as we do not have all the relevant information such as, are you in receipt of NS ESA as you talk about being medically retired due to ill health.

I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk where they can take all your circumstances into consideration.

In regards to your question about a paper trail, you may be asked. I had a client a few years ago who gave most of his saving away to his family in Jamaica, where there had been a hurricane which had blown their home away, he helped to purchase a new home, he could prove where his money went and it was allowed.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287644 by adam33
Replied by adam33 on topic Universal Credit - Private Pension Lump Sum
As I understand it you are allowed to use a lump sum to pay off debts, this is classed as essential expenditure, I think they'd probably want to see some kind of proof, in the case of a family member they might write you a letter for them or invite the DWP to contact them for confirmation, if they kept any kind of record of amounts owing as they accrued this would be useful evidence, basically I think it'd be best to have this as watertight as possible so that there isn't any doubt, so if loans were arranged by text message or email to a 3rd party provider like gmail for instance that would be fairly clear evidence that a loan was arranged at that time, then they might also have bank statements etc that show the money was transferred to you or withdrawn, I don't know how much evidence you'd need in practice but it's going to be better to have it than not. you might not need to collect everything at this point but important that noone involved deletes or throws anything away, possibly for several years.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287689 by pacaho
Replied by pacaho on topic Universal Credit - Private Pension Lump Sum
Hi Gary

Thank you for the reply. Regarding NS ESA, I've received UC from the outset. I wasn't even aware that NS ESA was an option.

Kindest regards
Pacaho

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #287690 by pacaho
Replied by pacaho on topic Universal Credit - Private Pension Lump Sum
Thank you for your reply and advice.

Kindest regards
Pacaho
The following user(s) said Thank You: adam33, Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.